It’s Driving Me Nuts! I Can’t Figure Out What It Is Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by NickG, Dec 20, 2017.

1. NickGNew MemberMember

Hello everyone

I want to share with you a big problem I have for a long time and which neither I or any fellow hobbyist I’ve talked to about it can’t figure it out.

Long story short my fish keep scratching/ flashing randomly for about 4 months now.

My water parameters are all normal (0 nh3/4 ,0 no2, 0 no3). The temperature is around 24 degrees Celsius.

The fish show no sign of any disease. No spots, no worms, no missing scales, they poop normally, their bellies are fine. However they scratch no matter what I do. I have treated the tank for parasites, ich (a treatment especially for it), bacterial infection and nothing worked. It literally did nothing.

If I put a new fish in the tank no matter how healthy it is it will start scratching either in the same day or during the next month.

I seriously can’t figure out what’s wrong. Things got really bad once, when debris from the gravel started floating when I was trying to re root one plant. Almost all of the fish started flashing in the next few hours

My ph is around 8 and my kh around 11.

What could be wrong ? I’m so frustrated with this

Many thanks in advance,
    Nick

2. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Is it possible to upload a vid on youtube and post a link here?

3. AllieSten

AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

Is your tank cycled? You have a 0 NO3, which indicates a non-cycled tank. You should have some Nitrate reading.

What meds have you tried for the flashing? You said you treated for parasites.. which kind? Gill flukes, ich, or velvet each need different treatments, so curious as to what meds you have actually used.

What kind and how many fish?

4. OP
    OP
    N

NickGNew MemberMember

If I don’t do a water change and leave the tank on its own for let’s say 8 days I instantly get no3s. Around 10. I have many plants so I believe this is the reason I don’t have any.

Yes I will upload a video later today.

The tank has been running for about 1.5 years and since there aren’t any ammonia or no2 it should be cycled.

So far I’ve used esha 2000, esha exit, sera bactopur and sera costapur.

The tank has 7 platys
    2 guppies
    15 cherry barbs
    4 Congo Tetras
    4 coridoras

5. OP
    OP
    N

NickGNew MemberMember

here is the link of the aquarium video. I don’t know why it’s in such bad quality though.

6. OP
    OP
    N

NickGNew MemberMember

Any advices ??

7. toeknee

toekneeWell Known MemberMember

I had this exact issue once, for over a year. Most of my fish would flash and parameters were always fine. Otherwise the fish looked and behaved normally. I tried treating for everything under the sun. Nothing worked, finally I tore it down, replaced he substrate from dirted/sand capped to seachem flourite and everything has been fine since. I'm lead to believe my issue was my soil substrate. It doesn't look like you have soil though. I'll never know what it was but it definitely wasn't an illness, there was just something in the water column irritating them

8. OP
    OP
    N

NickGNew MemberMember

All the clues lead me to believe the exact same thing!
    Especially the fact that if I stir the substrate the whole tank will most likely flash!

However the substrate is just white quartz and I bought it 'cause i thought it would be the safer, less toxic than all the rest of the substrate types....

I've also noticed that they tend to scratch around/near their gills...
    Today i noticed this behavior more than yesterday and many of the platys have their spine fin retracted...

It feels like fighting my shadow or something :(

9. OP
    OP
    N

NickGNew MemberMember

Here i am again...
    Happy holidays everyone!

So one of the new fish I added in the aquarium (about 3 weeks ago), which was completely healthy when I bought it, both started flashing and is having fin rot (its a male platy).
    The water also started to get cloudy, like there's little debris on it.

I currently treat the tank with sera bactopur, which does nothing at all for the fin rot at the moment and it's really strange 'cause it have cured previous cases of fin rot I had...

The gills of the fish were definitely red and something was wrong. With the bactopur in the water I notice that the platys breathe heavier but the redness around their gills is not so visible...
    I'm not sure thought if it's an effect of the bactopur or I just didn't notice that before...

Anyway.... They are still flashing and its mostly the platys... :'(

10. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I didn’t realize you put up a video. I don’t think I was notified of an alert. My phones rather slow, so the vid isn’t playing, but as far as the fin rot, I’d also do lots of water changes.

11. OP
    OP
    N

NickGNew MemberMember

The problem with water changes is the fact that I can't find seachem prime ANYWHERE in my city...
    I just ordered some from Athens and I'll probably have it in 4-5 days from now...

I have enough to do 1, maybe 2 water changes...

The last water change I did was 2 days ago (35%).
    I saw the fin rot right after the water change and its progressing... Tbh I've never seen a platy with fin rot!

I feel terrible.... Worst fish keeper ever:dead: :arghh:

12. AllieSten

I expected your tank to be full of plants. You do not have enough plants in your tank to affect your nitrates. My thought is that your tank isn’t cycled. It shouldn’t take 8 days to get 10ppm of nitrates with your tank being well stocked. I would consider your tank to be very lightly planted.

Are you sure you are doing the Nitrate test correctly? You shake the second bottle like crazy, before using it. And you rotate the vial for a full minute after adding the solution?

What is your pH?

13. OP
    OP
    N

NickGNew MemberMember

The ph is 8, the kh is 11 and no3s are 0 atm... Its a sera no3 test kit not an API. However yes i do shake the vials well before using the test.
    The valisnerias are growing like mad atm, so is my java moss and the rest of the plants.
    Every other day i see new runners... I don't think I cant put any more plants with the current gravel... Can I?

Ammonia levels are 0.

14. AllieSten

You can add more plants, tons more plants, just use root tabs for fertilizers.

I still think this is a cycling issue. Are you sure you are cycled? You can lose your cycle even in a tank that has been established for awhile.

15. OP
    OP
    N

NickGNew MemberMember

That's why I'm afraid the bactopur... It might throw off my cycle... But I felt like I didn't have a choice since my hospital tank is being used by a friend at the moment...

I'm using root tabs only, nothing else and i've seen great results!

How can I know that my tank is cycled, apart from my readings? :/

16. OP
    OP
    N

NickGNew MemberMember

Happy new year everyone...

So the bactopur treatment is over. The gills of the fish have now recovered and the fin rot of my platy stopped progressing...

However the itching/flashing became worse... Most of the fish now have their fins clammed.

They have lots of apetite and they seem happy when I feed them, they unclamp their fins and eat with lot's of hunger.

Afterwards however they get back to flashing...

My test readings are normal. Would some more mechanical filtration help perhaps?
    Brown algae is starting to dissappear as well..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice