Issues with pearlscale goldfish dying

1. Rasp Initiate Member

Hello Everyone,

So I have had aquariums for about 12 years now. Always stayed tropical and in the last year I setup a goldfish tank. It is a 150 gallon tank, 2 canister filters, water is crystal clear, nitrates 5 ppm, 0 nitrites, 0 ammonia. Tank temp is around 73, since I live in Florida. No heater.

We have 9 fish, most we have had for over 6 months, all doing amazingly well. The tank is very friendly, no bullying. I feed them repashy.

In summary, well kept tank, great numbers, friendly, cycled, and all fish have thrived except for when I try to add pearl scales.

For some reason, when I add pearl scales, from different sources, they seem to only last a week, maybe two. I can ever separate them and this will happen.

Anyone here with pearlscale experience that can give me some ideas on what could be happening?

Thanks in advance.

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore, sorry your first post is about a problem, hope you get some responses today

3. tanki60o Member Member

Perlies are probably the most sensitive type of goldfish. Do you quarantine them? Make sure they are healthy before buying? Could someone be bullying them? Do you let them acclimate?