150 Gallon Tank Issues with my toadstool

DC0420

Had my toadstool since it was a frag, about 2years, and it’s always been the toughest guy in the tank. Despite all my fumbling in the beginning it has just kept on growing and stayed strong.

I’ve added rock after rock as it has grown and now that I finally appear to have everything dialed in it is starting to show to spots of what looks like rot. The only difference in the last 2 months is that I added a small reactor to the sump to help with a nitrate spike that occurred 3 weeks ago. During that time the willow looked perfect and grew a little, so I’m pretty sure that it isn’t what caused it.

The trunk is developing a ridge that might indicate a split forming... but that quarter size section doesn’t look good, and along the ridge it looks like a seam is forming along the edge of the mushroom. I know that they are supposed to close up when they shed, but mine is like clockwork, closes and shrinks at night and opens big and wide just after the midday lights kick on. It’s never closed for any amount of time from that time table.

Any ideas? Should I cut that part off when it goes to sleep?
IMG_8479.JPG

IMG_8472.JPG

IMG_8470.JPG

IMG_8474.JPG

IMG_8476.JPG

DC0420

Also, I changed out 30 gallons on Friday when I first noticed the spot forming. I thought that it would perk back up, but no, so that is why I turned here.

saltwater60

Looks ok to me. Mushrooms and other corals can irritate other corals. Move the mushroom and other corals away from the leather and see if that helps. Also is the leather in the sand? Move it up on the rocks and out of the sand.

DC0420

Splitting or rot? Today I was able to get a better shot of the seam that is opening up. The green coloration worries me and makes me think rot,

IMG_8485.JPG

but it does line up with the ridge that is underneath so I can see that possibly being a split...

IMG_8486.JPG

either way it is much smaller today, I’m tempted to just frag that section, thoughts?

DC0420

saltwater60 said:
Looks ok to me. Mushrooms and other corals can irritate other corals. Move the mushroom and other corals away from the leather and see if that helps. Also is the leather in the sand? Move it up on the rocks and out of the sand.
It has its own area, I’ve been pushing stuff over as it has been growing, no contact going on...
IMG_8487.JPG

saltwater60

Hard to see it clearly. Mine split and looked funny too. I’d wait a day or two and see what it looks like. If it doesn’t look good in a day or two I’d drag it out.

DC0420

saltwater60 said:
Hard to see it clearly. Mine split and looked funny too. I’d wait a day or two and see what it looks like. If it doesn’t look good in a day or two I’d drag it out.
I know, I can’t get a clear picture because the lights and my camera don’t get along. I’ll wait a couple of days... update either way. Thanks for your input.

saltwater60

Anytime. I have the same trouble getting good photos of livestock.

DC0420

IMG_8608.JPG

IMG_8612.JPG

Doing much better now, not sure if it was just being moody or if the water changes did the trick, thought I would update...

saltwater60

Looks great.

DC0420

Defiantly splitting... at least I know what’s going on now, lol

IMG_8694.JPG

Random Great Thread

Saltwater aquarium start-up series:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Latest threads

Top Bottom