Issues with Fluval Stratum substrate in planted tanks

wrs2

I've recently started using Fluval Stratum in my planted aquariums, and it has been nothing short of a disaster!
EVERY tank that I have put the fluval stratum in has suddenly the tank is covered in this long stringy brown algae. Now I get it, extra nutrients in the water can cause algea. So I've been doing water changes, but it's not working. It grows on the walls, the filter, the plants. The plants are all dying too, even bullet proof plants like the basic Rotala you can buy at PetCo!

I posted about it on Instagram and someone said you need to up the lighting and then add some Water Wisteria which will help take care of the extra nutrients. I did that and it worked in one tank, but now that tank is covered in long green hair algea. I am at a loss as of what to do. In one 20 long I only put it in the corners, mixed with Eco Complete and it's the same issue. I put water wisteria in the tank, but it's not helping.

I really need suggestions as of what to do. I had more luck with just basic sand, never had such algae issues before.

Sputnik

Are these high or low tech tanks? I moved away from Stratum for a number of reasons- it’s nutrient dense and can cause issues with algae in unbalanced tanks, and even worse in my opinion, it turns to mud in a year or two. I have battled both green hair and black brush algae, and what worked best for me was a 3 day tank blackout, excel at recommended doses (warning, some plants like vals are sensitive), flourish advance to boost plant growth, and carefully dialing the ferts up or down until you see optimal results. You may want to check for dead critters, and also test phosphorous and if it is high use a binder, since phos is an algae magnet. I ended up ditching stratum and use ecocomplete or samurai soil with root tabs and liquid ferts now. Good luck!

Upvote 0

wrs2

They are low tech.
I am too cheap for high tech haha, though I wouldn't mind going hightech if I could do it on the cheap side.

The 20 gallon tank has been set up since July 2018, so I would hope it is balanced by now haha.
Though I could've changed that by adding the Fluval stratum.

These are some pictures of what it looks like....

a1.jpg
a2.jpg
a3.jpg
a5.jpg
a4.jpg
a6.jpg

I would have to get a phosphorus test, but we are in the middle of a blizzard in New England, so that probably won't happen for a few days lol.

I will try with the fertilizers. I have some, but I haven't used it in a while so I have to check if it's expired!

And no dead fish. It's low stocked and I counted, and all fish are still alive and well!

Upvote 0

Fishfriendof315

Are these high or low tech tanks? I moved away from Stratum for a number of reasons- it’s nutrient dense and can cause issues with algae in unbalanced tanks, and even worse in my opinion, it turns to mud in a year or two. I have battled both green hair and black brush algae, and what worked best for me was a 3 day tank blackout, excel at recommended doses (warning, some plants like vals are sensitive), flourish advance to boost plant growth, and carefully dialing the ferts up or down until you see optimal results. You may want to check for dead critters, and also test phosphorous and if it is high use a binder, since phos is an algae magnet. I ended up ditching stratum and use ecocomplete or samurai soil with root tabs and liquid ferts now. Good luck!
Yeah hakf a year and need to cover with fiferent substrate

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Courtneyburke0
Replies
Views
TheAnglerAquarist
  • Question
Replies