Issues With Cycling

Misstubbytubtub

Valued Member
Reaction score
I really don't know what else is happening but ever since my filter crashed, it's been cycling. Now I just noticed one of my fishes (Black moor) has 3 cotton dots on him that I suspect is ich. I just noticed this yesterday and did an immediate 25% PWC. I have been doing 50%-75% water changes everyday or every other day for the last 3 weeks as I was advised to do so ever since my filter crashed. 50% for 2 consecutive days and if I skip, 75%.

Water parameters for the last 3 days:
May 25: 75% PWC
Dose of prime
Dose of stress zyme in filter
No test

May 26: 25% PWC
Dose of prime
Salt added for 55 gallons
Temp increase from 20C to 25C overnight

May 27: Dose of prime
Cotton spots still there
Temp currently at 25C and trying to get it to 30C
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
pH: 6.4

Before this, my pH stayed constant at around 6.8 to 6.6 and I was trying to increase it with water changes. Now it's lower and I don't know if it's because of the salt in the tank. Also, my nitrate was always present and consistent at 5-10 ppm. And now it is 0 ppm. I don't know what happened to it. I don't know if the salt is effecting my like this. I normally don't add salt unless I absolutely need to and I thought yesterday was necessary because I wanted to get the ich out before it spread.

I plan on doing a 50% percent water change today (May 27th). But I dont know what else I should do. I have a bottle of melafix but I don't want to use any medication until absolutely necessary. It is pricey and I heard it doesn't help with the tank. I do have a driftwood in my tank and I heard that can lower pH.

Is there anything else I can do?

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are you dosing with Prime? If so, you may want decrease the water changes and see if the bacteria can all catch up and get the cycle going again. Dose with Prime daily to protect the fish.

Misstubbytubtub

Valued Member
Reaction score
Goldiemom said:
Are you dosing with Prime? If so, you may want decrease the water changes and see if the bacteria can all catch up and get the cycle going again. Dose with Prime daily to protect the fish.
So dose prime only without the water changes for the next few days? Have I been changing too much? I dose prime in the tank before I fill it with water.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom