Issues with adding new fish

wngirasole1

Hi- new user here. I am having issues recently adding new fish to my 29 gallon tank. Lately, whenever i add new fish, they devlop white spots on their mouth and their back fins turn white. Some have died after 2-3 hours of adding to tank. Other fish already in there seem fine. I did test the water and had 0.25 ammonia but have been treating with prime and stability which should neutralize any ammonia. What could issue be? Should i treat tank for fungus? Thanks.

Dunk2

Hi- new user here. I am having issues recently adding new fish to my 29 gallon tank. Lately, whenever i add new fish, they devlop white spots on their mouth and their back fins turn white. Some have died after 2-3 hours of adding to tank. Other fish already in there seem fine. I did test the water and had 0.25 ammonia but have been treating with prime and stability which should neutralize any ammonia. What could issue be? Should i treat tank for fungus? Thanks.
Can you post a picture of the white spots and fins?

How long has your tank been running? You mention ammonia, but are you testing for nitrites and nitrates? If so, what are those levels?

How often and how much water are you changing?

wngirasole1

Can you post a picture of the white spots and fins?

How long has your tank been running? You mention ammonia, but are you testing for nitrites and nitrates? If so, what are those levels?

How often and how much water are you changing?
Nitries are zero and Nitrates are 5-10ppm. Tank has been running for a little over a yewr. Posted a pic of fins, couldnt get a good picture of mouth. This fish was added to tank yesterday.

Attachments

• 79CCFAC1-DF30-494C-9080-DA84A6295B5F.jpeg
    79CCFAC1-DF30-494C-9080-DA84A6295B5F.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 25

Dunk2

Nitries are zero and Nitrates are 5-10ppm. Tank has been running for a little over a yewr. Posted a pic of fins, couldnt get a good picture of mouth. This fish was added to tank yesterday.
Clearer pictures might help? A201

wngirasole1

Clearer pictures might help? A201
Hopefully this is better, using my phone. U can see the white around his back and top fin and alittle on the mouth.

Attachments

• 527DEBCB-279C-4534-9C81-04B2AEE9F491.png
    527DEBCB-279C-4534-9C81-04B2AEE9F491.png
    830.9 KB · Views: 14

A201

Two possibilities come to mind,
Columnaris, or acute ammonia poisoning.
If the problem is Columnaris, it's a very virulent strain. Any obviously infected fish should be removed asap & euthanize.
If the problem is elevated ammonia, the white blotches are patches of slimecoat peeling.
Be a good idea to do a big 50% water change & let things settle down for a few weeks.
Before buying new fish. Carefully examine the desired fish in the vendor's tank checking for symptoms of disease. Make sure the fish are eating.
Do another big 50% WC on the same day you plan to buy new fish.
Make sure there is zero ammonia in your tank.

wngirasole1

If the problem is Columnaris, it's a very virulent strain. Any obviously infected fish should be removed asap & euthanize.
If the problem is elevated ammonia, the white blotches are patches of slimecoat peeling.
Be a good idea to do a big 50% water change & let things settle down for a few weeks.
Before buying new fish. Carefully examine the desired fish in the vendor's tank checking for symptoms of disease. Make sure the fish are eating.
Thank you- my ammonia is never over 0.25 and i treat immediately with prime so im guessing its Columnaris. I bought some products in the link you provided and will implement the treatment. Thanks again!
Thank you- my ammonia is never over 0.25 and i treat immediately with prime so im guessing its Columnaris. I bought some products in the link you provided and will implement the treatment. Thanks again!
“Treat” with prime as in, water change and prime.

wngirasole1

Question- i received kanaplex and the jungle fungus tabs that were recommended in the link. I put everything in per directions. Afterwards, i noticed that it said carbon shojld be removed. I have a hob filter, and did remove my fluval bio foam but i also have a filter catridge in there from aqueon. Will that be ok, or should i have cut out the carbon in the filter pad?

A201

Be a good idea to cut out the carbon, to get the maximum potency of the meds

wngirasole1

Be a good idea to cut out the carbon, to get the maximum potency of the meds
I completed two rounds of treatment with jungle clear tabs, and one round of kanaplex. Should i do another large water change or just let things be for a few more days? The last dose of jungle tabs was Wednesday.

A201

Just closely follow the directions. The dosing instructions should note the duration of the treatment.

MacZ

And after the end of the treatment remove the meds by first doing a high volume waterchange of at least 80%, followed by 24-48 hours of filtration with active carbon.

What the fish have is stress-induced columnaris. It usually shows when the fish are not only stressed but already have a quite weakened immune system. I wouldn't buy from the same source anymore.

I would strongly advise to optimize keeping conditions, if necessary down to the water parameters (pH, GH, KH), because otherwise this might become chronic.

Medical treatment usually doesn't do the trick longterm, just short term, so it might come back. And treating again with the hard stuff is likely costing you not only more money but also more fish.

Thunder_o_b

Welcome to Fishlore :)

The real issue here is the lack of quarantining the fish.

Many people do not do it and say it is not necessary, until they loose stock.

So yes treat the aquarium now. But I highly recommend that you setup a QT aquarium. A 10 gallon is suitable for most people. Cycle it and then maintain the cycle with mystery snails.

Be patient. Many people QT for only 2 weeks. This is not enough time. 4 weeks is the the time that many of us that have been doing this a long time (50 years for me) recommend.

Best wishes for you and your fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Heron
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
Replies
Views
jmaldo
Replies