Issues With 55 Gallon Tank. Losing Quite A Bit Of Fish.

1. Z

Zabulon Valued Member Member

So, we started a planted tank 2 weeks ago now, first week ran without fish. My boyfriend is not new to the hobby, but I am. He's had several large tanks in the past, but we've been in a townhome for a few years and a large tank just didn't fit. The only thing we've added was the recommended amount of stress coat. We've been repeatedly losing fish with little to no indication that there's something wrong, spread out over this week.

Here's our current fish:
    1 Juvenile Angelfish (Lost 3)
    5 Neon Tetra (Lost 2) - Less active than I imaged. Wondering if the Rainbows are scaring them.
    2 Sterbai Cory Cats - These guys are doing great! Swimming around playfully constantly.
    2 Dwarf Gourami (Lost 1) - Stays hidden a lot, between the driftwood and plants.
    2 Turquoise Rainbowfish - Seem to be doing well.
    1 Blue Ram Cichlid (Lost)

I've been feeding them twice a day, alternating Tetra Tropical Flakes and Crisps. I also added 2 Pleco Wafers for the Corys, but that's been in the past two days.

Temperature is at 73.9 currently, as of 6:44AM. Could it be too cold? Pretty sure we have a heater that can be added.

I haven't seen anything really eat besides the Rainbowfish and Corys, which is why I got the flakes in case the crisps fell too fast for the Gourami, Tetra, and Angels.

Not sure what was going on, I took a sample of water into petsmart and had them test the water. Results:

Ammonia = 0
    Nitrate = 10-20
    Nitrite = 0
    Hardness = 75
    Chlorine = 0
    Alkalinity = 40
    pH = 6.8-7.2

The only thing I've noticed that seems odd is this cotton like algae? on a few of the plants. The majority on the Moneywort. Here's a picture as well as one of the overall tank: Any thoughts or suggestion? We just can't figure out what's going on.

Thanks!

2. ark_fish

ark_fish Valued Member Member

whatever it is it could partially be because some sort of pesticide or other pollutant introduced to the tank that is harmful to fish. Try doing a large 60% water change and upping the water temp to 76 then for the next week daily 20% water changes. also possibly remove some driftwood for now and boil it thoroughly. Afterwards try adding some more decoration and shelter into your tank as the lighting is quite harsh and it may be affecting the fish. If nothing improves after that... Well i'm not too sure what to do then. Ask another fishlore member who has more experience and maybe knows more about diseases.

3. OP
    OP
    Z

Gotcha, I'll give that a go then. I've got a new LED light (day/night mode) coming tomorrow that should help with the lighting situation. Hopefully we can get this stabilized. Thank you for the suggestions! :)

4. jmaldo

jmaldo Well Known Member Member

Did you add all of the fish at the same time? How did you acclimate?

5. OP
    OP
    Z

No, not all at once. We placed the bag in the water for 20 or so minutes and then transferred the fish into the aquarium using a net. Researching, it looks like it's better to add some of our water in the bag to allow them to get used to the pH.

I believe this was our order:

Friday
    4 Angelfish

Saturday
    2 Gourami
    2 Rainbow
    2 Cory Cats

Sunday
    5 Neon Tetra
    1 Blue Ram

Started running into issues on Tuesday night, I believe, when I came home to a DG upside down at the bottom of the tank.

6. Samuel97

Samuel97 Well Known Member Member

That's still a lot of fish in a short period so it's hard to pin point where the problem would be but the stress of such sudden additions will have raised stress levels which makes them more susceptible to illness.

I would say somewhere along the way a bad chemical from the lfs, plants or substrate has affected the stressed fish.

You have a few stocking problems that we should address once the illness is overcome too.

That's still a lot of fish in a short period so it's hard to pin point where the problem would be but the stress of such sudden additions will have raised stress levels which makes them more susceptible to illness.

I would say somewhere along the way a bad chemical from the lfs, plants or substrate has affected the stressed fish.

You have a few stocking problems that we should address once the illness is overcome too.

7. jmaldo

jmaldo Well Known Member Member

I have read somewhere, add only approx. 6 fish at a time at 2 week intervals. Especially in new tanks due to the sudden increase in bioload may cause sudden spikes of ammonia and stress which might cause losses. As mentioned with adding that many fish at one time, it's impossible to know for sure the cause.

8. OP
    OP
    Z

I think you're right, we were going off of his previous experiences. I think he got a little too excited when I agreed to set up some tanks and it's been quite a while since he's actually had one set up. I would definitely like to hear your thoughts on stocking. I'll be doing more extensive research and revising the overall idea for the tank before we make any other changes. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

9. Samuel97

Samuel97 Well Known Member Member

I agree. Others will probably spot any temperature problems but ones I see:

Four angelfish in that space was too much, they are hard to sex and you would have without question ended up with aggression, keep the one you have now and possibly up to two and watch. This also goes for the two dwarf gourami depending on sex, as two males will always fight and one male to one female is often too much for the female, but you are now down to one so you should be all good there.

The tetras will need the deaths replacing as they like a group.

The corydoras are probably the most stark problem of numbers, they are an extremely community based fish and will be stressed in groups of less than 6-8. Up it to this number to see their true crazy happy selves and to improve their wellbeing.

The stocking is fine as long as no one sees and temp problems just fix your current problems, then slowly beef out the two groups of fish that need schools, they will act differently and bring your tank more to life anyways.

Your plants will grow out to add more fill and depth to your tank so I wouldn't worry about adding more, that open swim space st the front is great for the angel anyways.

10. OP
    OP
    Z

I'm planning to get more Corys and tetra for sure. I can't find a good answer to this, as it seems to vary. Do you know if it's possible to mix species of Corydoras or do I need to specifically get the Sterbai?

I think the only plant he wants to add is an Amazon Sword.

Appreciate your insight!

11. jenmur

jenmur Fishlore VIP Member

You need to get more Sterbai cories. They do best in species specific groups. If you have the room you could do 6 of Sterbai and say 6 Bronze. Or something like that. But they do like to be with their own groups.