Issue With Water Hardness Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Devinb, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Devinb

Devinb New Member Member

I am setting up my first aquarium. It has been up and running for a few days now and I did my first water test today because I was planning on adding the first of my fish soon. I found my ph is around 8. My gh is around 300. And my kh is around 80. From my understanding I need to bring down my gh significantly before I will be able to lower my ph. This is gow my water comes from the tap. I'd like to avoid using peat because it will discolor my water. Does anyone know how I can fix this.

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

I would say to not try to fix your water parameters. Stable parameters are better than the ideal parameters for certain fish. If your LFS has fish then they have most likely adapted to the hard water and high Ph.

3. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

It's the other one, KH is what buffers ph. GH is independent of the two. Your KH is actually low-medium I'd say. You can cut it with RO water to lower it further, though that would make it unstable, or you could use a buffered plant substrate, which will take in KH and lower ph while still keeping everything stable.

Why do you want to modify ph?

4. CanadianJoeh

CanadianJoeh Well Known Member Member

Don't play with anything. Don't change anything. If you do, change it naturally, with things like coral sand, driftwood, cuttle bone, etc etc. Things that will naturally and slowly alter your parameters.

NEVER use chemicals to alter water parameters.

Food for thought : the vast majority of aquarium fish have been bred in captivity for years. Therefore, a Tetra who in the wild lives in a pH of 6 will without a doubt survive a pH of 8, because they have been subjected to dozens of different pH's and parameters over je years.

Whats listed under a fish's parameter requirements are simply what the fish is used to in the wild.

5. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice