Issue with blue ram

luckyplanet
Hello all,

I bought what I thought was a pair of blue rams but later came to find out were two males. One of the males is dominant and chases the other. There are plenty of caves and plants to break the line of sight. However, if the submissive one comes out into the open, the other one rushes to charge it and you can see the submissive one losing color and becoming stressed momentarily. Any suggestions on what I can do? The current tank is a heavily planted 20gallong long. I have another tank that I can move one of the males. Not able to find any females from my LFS nearby either....
To add, once in a while, the submissive one will also put up a strong showing and both will have all their fins flared out with immense colors and they will just sort of approach each other and then back off

GlennO
Sounds like typical behaviour. He’s not likely to be in any imminent danger but it would be better to have only one male in there. I would move one to the other tank or ask your LFS if they can take one back in exchange for a female when they get more stock.

coralbandit
Separate them . The dom will slowly kill the sub IME .

luckyplanet
Ok thanks. Yes, I will separate the dominant one out of the main tank. Just curious when there are a lot of rams in one tank, how is there no one dominant fish or is there one and the aggression just gets spread?

coralbandit
With many the beatings are spread out and the weak can sneak in and get a bite to eat .
When the numbers are low the dom rules and wins ..

luckyplanet
Ok thanks! Also, can i reintroduce them after a brief period of time or are they destined to be separated forever? Thanks again evyerone!

GlennO
20 gal is too small for 2 males.

luckyplanet
I just removed the dominant male to a separate tank that is essentially bare bottom with some pots and plants with a cycled filter. He seems to maintain his colors but just is scaling the walls of the tank up and down... Guessing he is just stressed? The lights are off and I'm hoping he will settle down. it's been about 30mins since i moved him...

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom