Issue with ammonia.

LadyGoji

Member
My poor betta has recently been biting at his tail and I noticed some damage on a front fin. I've done so many water changes and started a salt water treatment. I'm still relatively new to the whole aquarium thing. But I did a lot of homework before getting him. I've had him almost a year with no issues until now. I tested my tap water to learn that it has ammonia in it now when the last time I tested it, it didn't have any ammonia in it. It's not a large amount, but it is concerning to me and I feel like it's the reason his fins are getting damaged. The ammonia is a constant .25 on his water and my tap water now. I'm at a loss at what I can do. I could do the jugs of spring water, but it seems risky and it would be pricey overtime and I'm not made of money. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 

Attachments

LMO

Member
If you use prime as your water conditioner it will detoxify any ammonia in the tap water (up to 1ppm at standard dose) while your filter bacteria convert it.
 

JustAFishServant

Member
Places closer to sea level (like Texas) often have ammonia to eliminate possible "bad things" in the water to make it safer. However, it's unsafe for humans, let alone fish. The best thing you could do is use Seachem Prime, a general water conditioner that detoxifies chlorine, chloramines, heavy metals, nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia. Use this accordingly, and your fishy should be doing just dandy! Now the fin rot is pretty easy to treat and diagnose. If your tap water has ammonia, it'll stress your boy out, which can cause fin rot. Remove the ammonia with Prime and those tattered fins should fix right up! Good luck! :D
 
  • Thread Starter

LadyGoji

Member
Thank you for the nice reply's! I do use prime every time I do a water change. Someone from another place I asked this question said that the API can test false positive and that's why it looks like it's constantly at .25? Is that true?
 

JustAFishServant

Member
If it's the API Master Test Kit, this is likely not the case. It's the most reliable water test kit out there! Though I doubt it'll show a false positive, anything is possible. However, if you're using the test strips, this could be the reason. These aren't as reliable as the Master Test Kits and often do have false readings. If you live in the south in the U.S. then it's probably the tap water. Now the fin rot that your boy has could mean several reasons. It usually means bad water quality and reasons for stress, however, if he's about 3 years old or older, it's a chronic fin rot, meaning it will never go away. Old Bettas often get chronic fin rot, and it will never go away. Just be prepared for what you discover, and good luck :)
 

christopher27

Member
LadyGoji said:
Thank you for the nice reply's! I do use prime every time I do a water change. Someone from another place I asked this question said that the API can test false positive and that's why it looks like it's constantly at .25? Is that true?
How big is the tank?
What is your ph, nitrites, and nitrates?
Does he have any tank mates that could nip at his fins?
 
  • Thread Starter

LadyGoji

Member
JustAFishServant said:
If it's the API Master Test Kit, this is likely not the case. It's the most reliable water test kit out there! Though I doubt it'll show a false positive, anything is possible. However, if you're using the test strips, this could be the reason. These aren't as reliable as the Master Test Kits and often do have false readings. If you live in the south in the U.S. then it's probably the tap water. Now the fin rot that your boy has could mean several reasons. It usually means bad water quality and reasons for stress, however, if he's about 3 years old or older, it's a chronic fin rot, meaning it will never go away. Old Bettas often get chronic fin rot, and it will never go away. Just be prepared for what you discover, and good luck :)
I use the drops. I'm not sure how old he is honestly, but I've had him for almost a year. And yeah, I do live in the south.

christopher27 said:
How big is the tank?
What is your ph, nitrites, and nitrates?
Does he have any tank mates that could nip at his fins?
It's a 3 gallon tank with 0 nitrites and about 5.0 nitrates. I haven't checked the ph, but it's usually a 7.4. No tank mates. He's biting his own butt, lol.
 

JustAFishServant

Member
LadyGoji said:
I use the drops. I'm not sure how old he is honestly, but I've had him for almost a year. And yeah, I do live in the south.
Ah, I see. I think the tap water when you're at likely does have ammonia inside. And the drops are the Master Test Kit, which rarely will give a false reading. But if you use Prime, there should be no ammonia, unless it's expired or something. If he is old, there's nothing to be worried about. Every Betta I've had, no matter if they were 2.5 years or like Ghast, my 6 year old boy, they all had chronic fin rot. If that's the case, you shouldn't worry. You take good care of him and I'm sure he's very happy! Hopefully you find out what the matter is...we all hope he's thriving! :D
 

christopher27

Member
LadyGoji said:
It's a 3 gallon tank with 0 nitrites and about 5.0 nitrates. I haven't checked the ph, but it's usually a 7.4. No tank mates. He's biting his own butt, lol.
Nitrates could also be an issue, they are not quite as bad as ammonia or nitrites but they still cause issues. The ammonia will eventually become nitrates, Nitrogen cycle goes-Ammonia-Nitrites-Nitrates
 
  • Thread Starter

LadyGoji

Member
christopher27 said:
Nitrates could also be an issue, they are not quite as bad as ammonia or nitrites but they still cause issues. The ammonia will eventually become nitrates, Nitrogen cycle goes-Ammonia-Nitrites-Nitrates
I have no idea what the issue is anymore honestly. I'm hearing "do this", "do that", "no don't do that" I don't really know what to believe that would help the issue. The tank is cycled. I've done so many water changes this past week, I shouldn't be having ammonia or nitrate issues. I don't have the funds to upgrade his tank to a bigger one right now. I don't know if my water does have ammonia or not even though my tests say it might. My arms are up in the air at this point lol.
 
Top Bottom