Isolation for bullied tetras

newbietetra

hi,
i have 10 blue neon tetras and 3 black neon tetras. All about 8 months old.

All healthy in my eyes. But 1 blue neon and 1 black neon have always been social outcasts.
These two get chased by the others...and spend most time in the corner.
The black neon has a S-curved back and a big hump. This guy is smaller than the others. Probably because this guy eats very slowly...lose out to others on food.
The blue neon tetra is much smaller than others. This blue neon is even smaller than the black neon. I just noticed that blue neon is starting to develoe a humpback. This blue neon spends most time hiding in the corner.

So, i am thinking maybe i should put these two outcast tetras into a new tank by themselves.
but i read tetras dont do well being isolated from other tetras.
So is it worse to be isolated or bullied all the time?

blue neon humpback...
You must be registered to see images

Black neon curved back...and hump...

otterblue

I like your idea. I vote give them a tank for themselves. (And eventually maybe add some other fish to that new tank.)

MacZ

If you call (completely normal) aggression among tetras bullying you have misunderstood their behaviour.

Both species are massproduced and overbred. Spine deformities happen more often under those circumstances.

The black neon also has a caved-in stomach, so in that case I'd assume a disease and not (only) a developmental problem. The behaviour points in that direction as well.

I'd use the emergency template now to get to the bottom of this.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
MacZ
  • Question
Replies
Views
Honem
Replies