Isolated neon

Vivo

Reaction score
I know I'm coming in late, but I've got the same problem. I inherited one neon and got 6 more smaller one's. The bigger one hides in a log and chases other fish out. He always kept to himself, but lately he and all my other 6 have been chasing each other and fin nipping. Water parameters are good. Temp at 77, pH a little low at 6.0. My tank is about one month old. It happened suddenly. :(.

Crimson_687

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
How large is your tank? It’s not unusual for neons to chase each other. However, they usually do it sparingly and they alternate so that no fish is ever repeatedly chased. Everyone gets to be chased and the one chasing, and then they break off for awhile and then school. They don’t nip and they don’t target anyone. If yours are chasing excessively, nipping, or targeting a certain fish, it means they are stressed by something. It could be your parameters, lack of cover in the tank, diseases, or inadequate tank size. I say diseases as it is typical of fish in a stressed situation to target a fish who is sick or weak. It’s a survival thing- the weak fish is a liability to them- especially in a situation where the healthy fish are stressed

OP
V

Vivo

Reaction score
33 hexagon tall. If it's normal that they chase each other, I guess that's ok. It's not constant, but I have noticed one of the smaller one's is now by himself and gets chased by everyone else. His color this evening was dark blue. Hardly any red showed where the other's looked fine. Otherwise I can't see anything else. T

Crimson_687

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Vivo said:
33 hexagon tall. If it's normal that they chase each other, I guess that's ok. It's not constant, but I have noticed one of the smaller one's is now by himself and gets chased by everyone else. His color this evening was dark blue. Hardly any red showed where the other's looked fine. Otherwise I can't see anything else. T
When they sleep their color fades, but it’s possible you were sold a blue neon tetra, aka green neon tetra. I would say get more so they have a larger school and get more plants so they feel at home

New Threads