Isolate my precious cory or not?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by GoGreen, Apr 9, 2010.

1. GoGreenWell Known MemberMember

Hi I am in need of some opinions in regards to an unwell bronze cory of mine. Currently I am just making a bunch of semi-educated guesses...

The reason I am posting this here is that I thought I would get a broader range of opinions, as I am really concerned about the little guy.

He has been sick since Wednesday, Symptoms are:
    -no obvious marks on his body that I can see
    -not eating
    -basically sits upright in one position, with the occasional shift (either beside his log or under his log)
    -he is breathing heavily all the time
    -I though it looked like he was getting skinnier but I am not really sure about that now, sometimes it is just the way the light hits him in the tank.
    -nobody is picking on him, in fact his friend comes to sit beside him regularly, as well as the little panda I have.
    -the sides of his body appear darker than that of his friend, again, this could be a trick of light since I never see him at the front of the tank.

So far I have been preforming daily water changes of up to 25% total (I do a small bit in the morning and evening)
    Vaccum up a bit of waste from his tankmates but no aggressive vaccuming.
    Am using Prime for water changes. All parameters are good. Temperature is constant 25-26*C.
    Nobody else is having any issues. Thought if he is stressed I would try and keep things nice and clean, usually I do a water change once a week.(of 30-40%)

LFS says to isolate him and add some salt to his water! I always thought that salt was bad for cories and rather old school, but the LFS has very healthy fish so their advice is confusing. I don't know about this, the only other change in the tank I have made was turning up the airstone to maybe get some more 02 in the water.

What would you do?

2. ZenialValued MemberMember

I wouldn't put a cory in salt either, that idea concerns me a little. You're doing a great job with the water changes, keep it up!

It's sounds like he has swimming bladder.
    https://www.fishlore.com/Disease.htm

It's not contagious, so you shouldn't have to isolate him at risk of your other fish. The only reason I would isolate him is if he is having trouble getting to the surface for air and you can't otherwise lower your water level for him.

The main cause of swimming bladder is overfeeding or constipation - perhaps feeding him peas will help him if he's constipated.

EDIT: If he doesn't show any improvement in about a week, treat it as a bacterial infection. This too can affect his digestion - which is causing his problem.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  3. GoGreenWell Known MemberMember

Actually, I didn't feed anyone today, and it does say not to feed for a couple of days anyway, if swim bladder is what he has. The other fish shouldn't suffer (hey maybe they will eat some more algae now lol!)

How would I get the pea to sink? Or do they sink, I have never fed my fish peas before, their regular fare is high quality flake, shrimp pellets and algae pellets (in rotation) obviously he isn't coming to the surface, which I guess would explain his constant gasping.

4. jdhefModeratorModerator Member

I believe with swim bladder there is bloating and the fish has a hard time keeping level.

The first question is what are your water perameters?

Next question, is he eating? Often when a fish is ill, it will stop eating.

Good luck!

5. GoGreenWell Known MemberMember

My water is ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate >5
    No he is not eating.
    He has changed positions a bit more often today but still is breathing heavy.

6. phishyitisValued MemberMember

To fed him a pea,you get one frozen pea and and put it in warm water,then take the skin off and cut it into tiny pieces.Remember thier mouths are very small,you won't need to feed the whole pea.Never use salt in a freshwater tank,ever.Also is his dorsal fin clamped down,is he full grown,how long have you had him?Your water peram's are great, from your profile it looks like your lightly stocked.I would go back to your regular water changes.Maybe redkahuna will see this thread and give you some expert advice as far as treatment.Hope your little guy pulls through.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  7. GoGreenWell Known MemberMember

He is full grown, I have had him since September of 09 and he was smaller then. His dorsal fin is not clamped down, when he sits there he looks all normal except for his breathing, and the fact that he will not eat. So you think that I should stop changing the water daily like I have been? Today is the day that I normally do my water change and vac, should I go ahead and do that or skip it?
    Should I move their log to vaccum under there? Perhaps there is something in the substrate that is making him unwell.
    I did send a message to Redkahuna but perhaps he is not around.
    I just don't know how to help him now!
    Do I keep him in the main tank? Everyone else still looks good, and he has been unwell since Wednesday (4 days now)

8. BreederGuy23New MemberMember

I would say keep him in his own tank incase he has an illness that can pass on to your other fish

9. phishyitisValued MemberMember

Your water perameters are perfect,if the substrate was dirty you would register higher nitrates.I would wait a week to do another water change.When cories are not feeling well they clamp down thier dorsals.Not feeding or being active right after gravel cleaning is definately not normal for cories.
    Try feeding him a parcial pea he might be constapated.The breathing hard part puzzles me, if none of the other fish are breathing hard,then it is not an areation problem.If he has no visible signs of disease other than breathing hard and not feeding he probobly is not contagous.
    I hope he pulls through.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  10. GoGreenWell Known MemberMember

About the dorsal fin-when you say clamped would he be holding in very close to his body? Or would it just not be quite as high as usual but still up?

11. GoGreenWell Known MemberMember

Which is best for pop eye?

So I am worried that my little cory may have pop eye...it appears that his left eye is bugging out of his head more than normal, I am not 100% sure yet...I have listed his other symptoms in a previous thread in this section.

Melafix or Maracyn 2? Both are available to me.

12. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Kawi girl, isn't pop eye usually because of water conditions? I assume yours are fine?

13. LucyModeratorModerator Member

The threads have been merged.
    Please don't make members going searching for another thread about the symptons this fish is expereincing.

Not only is it less confusing, it could be dangerous if they found an old thread and advised on the wrong thing.

14. GoGreenWell Known MemberMember

Sorry Lucy, didn't mean to confuse things.

Meenu, you are right, my water conditions are good, but i am just judging by how my fish looks. It's so hard to know for sure!

These fishies can be confusing...mine has some symptoms but none seem to be complete (heavy breathing, but no clamped fins)

Guess I am just grasping at straws trying to figure out what to do...

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  15. ZenialValued MemberMember

Regardless of it being pop eye or swimming bladder the base treatment is the same - frequent water changes.

These can BOTH disguise an underlying bacterial infection. I'm not sure what fishlore's preferred bacterial treatment product is for this situation but I'm sure someone will tell you... If you choose to treat it as a bacterial infection, isolate him and add medicine and increase the tank temperature a few degrees.

Again, my reference is https://www.fishlore.com/Disease.htm

16. GoGreenWell Known MemberMember

Well, so far I have been doing two small water changes a day for a total of about 20-25% a day, vac. up a bit a fish waste each time, but I am being careful with feeding the others. I have not overfed in the past but I have been feeding even less in the past few days. Just to keep things cleaner.

Unfortunately he is not eating still, so I can't feed him a pea. I put a small piece in the tank this evening and his friend ate some, my biggest platy, Finly, and Sherlock, my gourami! Well, at least it's good for them. I will try a garlic soaked pea tomorrow.

Today I saw him actually go up to the surface 3 times! He hasn't done that for 3 days (at least that I have observed), but his breathing is still heavy, although he also came out to sit on his rock for a while. This is why I am reluctant to isolate him, but I got the Q tank up and running just in case he gets worse. I would like to think that these are good signs but it could also just be part of his struggle so I am not getting my hopes up.

I have some meds on hand now, also. As I just can't make a postive diagnosis I am hesitant to use them, at this point. Obviously that would mean I would have to quarantine him. One of his eyes still look a bit bugged out but I don't know how obvious something like pop-eye should be.

Poor little guy! I am afraid he will starve himself to death if this keeps up...

17. GoGreenWell Known MemberMember

So this morning...my little bronze was actually out and swimming around, albeit slower than normal, with the occasional visit to the surface, and then sat on his rock again for a bit. I am not getting too excited yet, but hoping that he is starting to feel better. He still is breathing heavy with he is sitting still, and not interested in food yet. (he may be algae nibbling and I am not seeing this)

I noticed something about his underside, though. Compared to his buddy it appears a bit 'frayed'. Could it be that he sustained an injury, would that explain his behavior?

If that is the case, I am thinking that keeping the water clean and under-feeding is probably my best bet. Please say so if you think differently!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice