ISO Mexican Tetras

Dewclaw83

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Okay, so, "Have you tried..." responses are welcome too.

When I was in Belize, I fell in LOVE with the Mexican tetras they have in many of their waterways. I cannot find them for sale ANYWHERE. The issue is they are the same species as the blind cave tetras - they are the surface variety of them, so everytime I try to search for them online, all that comes up are the cave tetras, which I already have lol. To further the issue, I can't just search the scientific name, as the cave tetras share the same name. I've check various sites, but I'm sure I'm missing something. It's not like they're rare or anything. Where can I find these guys??

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score

Dewclaw83

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
FinalFins said:
Astyanax mexicanus (Blind Cave Tetra) — Seriously Fish

If this is the species you are looking for, the upper dwelling variant is not commonly seen in the hobby, and the blind version is much more popular.
Yes, that's the species. As I mentioned, this is a last ditch effort. It's strange to me that they're not popular - they're pretty, friendly, and they're everywhere in the waterways. Shame.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I think the most reliable way to get them would to get in contact with a importer than is known to collect the upper dwelling variant or is in the mexico area

Dewclaw83

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
FinalFins said:
I think the most reliable way to get them would to get in contact with a importer than is known to collect the upper dwelling variant or is in the mexico area
How would I find someone like that though??

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Dewclaw83 said:
How would I find someone like that though??
Good question :hilarious:

Dewclaw83

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
FinalFins said:
Good question :hilarious:
Guess I should change the title of the thread to "ISO someone in Central America and/or Mexico"!

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I know it’s not the same but the blood fin tetra is very similar.
I’d call a LFS and ask if they can order them. I have a great LFS by me that imports and or distributed fish. Maybe they don’t import directly but they have a huge variety and can get lots of things. I’m in western NY and I think they ship. Right now NYS is essentially shutdown though.

Dewclaw83

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
saltwater60 said:
I know it’s not the same but the blood fin tetra is very similar.
I’d call a LFS and ask if they can order them. I have a great LFS by me that imports and or distributed fish. Maybe they don’t import directly but they have a huge variety and can get lots of things. I’m in western NY and I think they ship. Right now NYS is essentially shutdown though.
Hmm, it might be worth asking them aboutthe mexican tetras actually. They get some pretty strange stuff in, they might know someone.

But hey! I'm also in western NY - Well, close to it - the finger lakes area. What's your LFS (Feel free to not share if you'd rather not), in case mine can't get anything?

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
First off, Astyanax mexicanus does not occur in Belize. There are actually a few species of similar Astyanax in Mexico/Central America. A few years ago, a Cichlid importer brought in A. aeneus, which is a greenish version. I ordered some of these, but they were very nasty, and were hurting my young Cichlids that I was keeping them with. They also weren't as green as I had been told.

You could substitute Buenos Aires Tetras for the Mexican Tetras, as they look very similar, get the same size, and have the same attitudes.

Dewclaw83

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
chromedome52 said:
First off, Astyanax mexicanus does not occur in Belize. There are actually a few species of similar Astyanax in Mexico/Central America. A few years ago, a Cichlid importer brought in A. aeneus, which is a greenish version. I ordered some of these, but they were very nasty, and were hurting my young Cichlids that I was keeping them with. They also weren't as green as I had been told.

You could substitute Buenos Aires Tetras for the Mexican Tetras, as they look very similar, get the same size, and have the same attitudes.
Are you sure about that? Because I asked our guide and he called the Mexican tetras, and they looked exactly like the surface variety of the Mexican Tetra. I might have a picture somewhere. Perhaps they don’t occur naturally there, but have become invasive. Belize does share a border with Mexico, and I doubt the tetras have a map lol
Regardless, I am 99% sure I have them IDed right. I did look through the other species that I could find photos of

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Quite certain, as Astyanax mexicanus is found in the northern part of Mexico, in the Rio Grande River, and in southern Texas. There is no way for them to have gotten to Belize. Astyanax fasciatus is also called Mexican Tetra at times, as they used to be considered a subspecies, A. fasciatus mexicanus. It is common from Mexico to Argentina. And the average person probably cannot tell the difference between the two species.

Dewclaw83

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
chromedome52 said:
Quite certain, as Astyanax mexicanus is found in the northern part of Mexico, in the Rio Grande River, and in southern Texas. There is no way for them to have gotten to Belize. Astyanax fasciatus is also called Mexican Tetra at times, as they used to be considered a subspecies, A. fasciatus mexicanus. It is common from Mexico to Argentina. And the average person probably cannot tell the difference between the two species.
If you look at their range, it’s not a stretch to think they could’ve ended up in Belize. Astyanax fasciatus has a different coloring from those that I saw, I’ll see if I can revive my camera and get the pictures off

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you have a good photo of them, please post it. I don't believe mexicanus is found in Belize, as fasciatus is reported to be prevalent there.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads