ISO Inspiration: Show me your 75+gallon tanks

wateriswet

I'm narrowing in on my first big tank and it will probably be a 75 or 125 gallon. I know I want a planted tank and have my ideal stocking mostly figured out but have no idea what I want it to actually look like. I've tried googling for inspiration but mostly see smaller setups. Could you please share photos of your larger setups and some information on what you do to make your plants happy and what livestock you keep?

leftswerve

90g, large water changes and fish waste. The plants are all low tech. Once the root systems take hold and the aquarium ages, I quit supplements.

Cherryshrimp420

Here's my tank with just plants and no aquascaping. This is what happens when you have sand and allow a weed (hygrophila corymbosa) to grow

wateriswet

gray_matter16 said:
75g here. Had 2 finnex planted plus 24/7 lights. 6 hours of staggered light, meaning light A was on from 3PM - 7PM and light B was on from 5PM - 9PM. Had diffused co2 and fertilized with thrive+ every 3 to 5 days depending on algae. Root tabs under specific root feeding plants.

Had 12 cardinal tetras, 4 german blue rams, colony of cherry shrimp, some nerite snails, and colony of malaysian trumpet snails.
That is a great looking tank! Thank you for sharing. Did your rams eat too many cherry shrimp or were you able to keep a colony with them?

leftswerve said:
90g, large water changes and fish waste. The plants are all low tech. Once the root systems take hold and the aquarium ages, I quit supplements.
It's hard to believe that's low tech, it looks good! Also good advice to baby the plants more when they're new and cut back once they're established.

Cherryshrimp420 said:
Here's my tank with just plants and no aquascaping. This is what happens when you have sand and allow a weed (hygrophila corymbosa) to grow

It's so green and fluffy!
I'm so excited! I just got a brand new 75 on sale. It's so big and algae free right now! I kind of miss getting things as a kit now that I'm also buying the filter and heater separately, haha. Oh well. At least shopping for plants and fish is fun

gray_matter16

wateriswet said:
That is a great looking tank! Thank you for sharing. Did your rams eat too many cherry shrimp or were you able to keep a colony with them?
They ate any they could fit in their mouths and catch. Luckily I had an established colony prior to them so I have plenty large adults that they don't go after because they're too big. There's also a lot of good hiding spots for the small ones. The small shrimp by now have learned to stay hidden during the day time

ghostdawg

gray_matter16 said:
75g here. Had 2 finnex planted plus 24/7 lights. 6 hours of staggered light, meaning light A was on from 3PM - 7PM and light B was on from 5PM - 9PM. Had diffused co2 and fertilized with thrive+ every 3 to 5 days depending on algae. Root tabs under specific root feeding plants.

Had 12 cardinal tetras, 4 german blue rams, colony of cherry shrimp, some nerite snails, and colony of malaysian trumpet snails.
How do you do water changes? Do you vacuum the substrate? Just curious.

gray_matter16

ghostdawg said:
How do you do water changes? Do you vacuum the substrate? Just curious.
I don't vac substrate much. The substrate is eco-complete which is inert. But with my tank being 2+ years old there is plenty of detritus collected in the lower layers that the plants use as nutrients. I WC about once per month

ghostdawg

Interesting...thanks.

TheWalkman

Not a planted tank but my fish love their arches
And it’s been one of my favorite aquascapes I’ve done

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom