Iso Fun Little - Small Fish

1. MelloYello Member Member

Ive got a 46 gallon bow front planted aquarium. The tank has a sand substrate, high lighting, and is in a busy area (no shy fish). The tank is well established (around 2-3 years)

Im looking for some fun fish (Non schooling) from 1cm - 1 maybe 2 inches that I can have 1-3 of each just to add lots of activity to the aquarium in all regions.

... Sorry for posting so much...

The current stocking of the tank:
    9 rummy nose tetras (School near the bottom)
    9 Neon Tetras (School near the middle-top)
    1 bristle nose pleco
    2 ammano shrimp

Fish I have been thinking of:
    1 or 5 male fancy guppies (HIGH QUALITY)
    1 or 5 male swordtail
    (not a fan of mollies (sorry))
    1 Florida Flag fish (I read they can be agressive)

So go ahead and throw your fish at me.

OH YES: The rummy nose and neon tetras schools can be moved over to a different tank of mine. But I would love to keep at least one of the schools in the tank.
  2. California L33 Well Known Member Member

If you want a show stopper, that tank might be big enough for an Angelfish, though he'll likely make a snack of your shrimp. They're fairly aggressive, but should ignore the Pleco and won't be able to catch anything else.

I do have a thing for guppies, though. A few fancies would be phenomenal, though the tetras might nip at those big flowing fins.

3. AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

You could do an angelfish, but that doesn't quite match your criteria. But if you did, you could keep the rummynose and move the neons, for temperature reasons. Also sometimes angels eat neons, but not usually if the neons are full grown and the angel is young and grows up with them. My angel isn't very aggressive, and leaves all the other fish alone (rummynose, cories, and GBR) just likes to pick on mystery snails. Don't have shrimp though.
    Guppies would be a good choice, or endlers if you want even smaller. You could also do a group of honey gourami, who are very peaceful and get to about 2-3".
  4. JeffK Well Known Member Member

You could easily stock 3-4x honey gourami. Have you considered peacock gudgeons? Very colorful, unique fish!

5. KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

I don't normally like guppies, but I saw some Tequila Sunrise guppies at the LFS that were gorgeous! I would definitely keep those guppies.
  6. California L33 Well Known Member Member

Hadn't thought about the ideal temperature mis-match between Angels and Neons :( I love Honey Gouramis, but would they be out and showing themselves in a high traffic area?
  7. MelloYello Member Member

Thats what I mean by "high quality" Im not usually a huge fan of guppies, but I have seen some that are just gorgeous.

8. MelloYello Member Member

Do you think I could get away with angel fish? (the rummy nose are very quick)

I have not had problems with either of these schools niping at any fins oldy enough. I have had bettas, and guppies in with them before with no problem.
  9. MelloYello Member Member

Wow! I have not seen or herd of a peacock gudgeon before! My lord are those pretty!
  10. MelloYello Member Member

Would the angels be skittish?
    Also would guppies get along with Angels? My guess is no.

11. JeffK Well Known Member Member

They are not schooling fish so they can be kept in whatever numbers you prefer. I'd suggest 1 male and 2 females.
  12. AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

If you get an angel young, you shouldn't have any issues. Except for the neons, everything should work okay. I keep my angel in a 38 bowfront tank with rummynose tetras a GBR and albino cories. The angel gets along with everyone and is NOT shy! He is very in your face, look at me.
    Honey gourami would also be a good fit, and I have not heard of them being shy.
    I'm not sure about guppies with angels. Should be ok as long as the guppies don't nip fins.
  13. MelloYello Member Member

Thanks so much! Wow I think I have found my fish. I will look around... I really do like the look of koi angels.
  14. AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

What to be careful of with angels:
    As tempting as it may be, in this size tank don't do more than one. If you get lucky and end up with a breeding pair, they will get aggressive with other tankmates when spawning, which could be like every 2 weeks. There's just not enough room for everyone to get away.
    You could end up with angels that hate each other. Males can be very territorial with each other, and can fight to the death (they are cichlids, after all). Some male/female pairs may not get along. Also, it's nearly impossible to sex angels unless they are spawning or fighting.
  15. MelloYello Member Member

All righty thanks!
  16. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Angels need warmer water than the neons and BN pleco and would pick on your shrimp.

I would go with honey gouramis or bolivian rams
  17. MelloYello Member Member

I have a other tank I can move the rest of the fish too, Its a 30 gallon tall that is cycled and 78F. Plus my grandmother loves the way angel fish move.