Is Zero Ammonia,nitrate ,nitrite Bad?

saiti

Reaction score
I have a 30g tank with an ac110 for filtration. The tank has been running for a couple years now. I recently changed from gravel to sand about a week ago after most of my fish died during a wc. My readings are ph 8.2, ammonia 0, nitrate 0, and nitrite 0. My current stock includes 1 gold gourami and 3 juvenile rainbowfish. Is it safe to add more fish?

RyanLee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You should be seeing some nitrates if your cycle is working correctly. It's likely you are not doing the Nitrate testing correctly. The only way you would have 0,0,0 is if you are doing huge waterchanges every day.

saiti

Reaction score
You should be seeing some nitrates if your cycle is working correctly. It's likely you are not doing the Nitrate testing correctly. The only way you would have 0,0,0 is if you are doing huge waterchanges every day.
But i shaked the bottle vigorously for 30 secs before dropping in vial & shaked for a minute after. I dont understand what i did wrong.

RyanLee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Try again maybe, and shake it harder, I actually bang my nitrate bottles on the table. Is you test kit expired? Maybe take some water to the pet store and let them test it. They usally do it for free. But to answer your ultimate question: your probably fine to add more fish, just keep an eyes on your testing and do waterchanges if it doesnt look right, and add some prime.

saiti

Reaction score
Try again maybe, and shake it harder, I actually bang my nitrate bottles on the table. Is you test kit expired? Maybe take some water to the pet store and let them test it. They usally do it for free. But to answer your ultimate question: your probably fine to add more fish, just keep an eyes on your testing and do waterchanges if it doesnt look right, and add some prime.
My test kit isnt expired as i just bought it from amazon. I think ill try again later.

BlackOsprey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Usually the only way you're gonna get those kinds of readings is if the tank is full of plants that absorb all the pollution and stocking is relatively low.

You shouldn't have to do more to the bottle than shake it vigorously. It's always worked for me like that. All the same, if your readings are the same next time, I'd take some water to a LFS for testing.

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
4 small fish in a 30g can be considered understocked. if you have a lot of plants then they're probably consuming the nitrates.

a deep sand substrate can cultivate anaerobic bacteria to convert nitrate to nitrogen gas. but usually takes a few weeks.

a 0, 0, 0 is a perfect or complete nitrogen cycle. 5 Stages of Nitrogen Cycle (With Diagram)

if you did do something wrong and killed off your BB, then you would be seeing ammonia, and fish gasping and/or dying.

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i think you'll be ok, but test the water every 3-4 days just to make sure the parameters are staying at 0, 0, <20

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If in doubt of your tests take a water sample to your LFS and see what they get. It’s just that simple.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom