Is your kitchen a death trap?

juniperlea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I slipped on the kitchen floor, yet again. It was not my fault. The fish need 'new' water, and in the process of giving them new water, some of it frequently ends up on the floor. Do any of you fear walking walking on water?

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What kind of shoes are you wearing? You might want to consider getting some with slip resistant soles.

And since you asked, I'm pretty careful not to spill more than a few drops, so it hasn't been an issue for me.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My fish room is carpeted ! Real pro here !
I have flooded several times and not slipped ..My wife hates me !
I love reading your post .,
I hope you are ok ..You made this after you got up right ?
When I was on another site I had a thread I named" I spill water everyday " . I still do !
I wear decent shoes to avoid electric shocks !

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sometimes I fill the 5gal bucket a little too far and it ends up slopping over the edge a bit. I gave up wearing socks while doing water changes.

After all is said and done I go back through with a towel, water changes and mopping get done at the same time ;)

juniperlea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
JettsPapa said:
What kind of shoes are you wearing? You might want to consider getting some with slip resistant soles.

And since you asked, I'm pretty careful not to spill more than a few drops, so it hasn't been an issue for me.
I have Raynaud's in my toes and, sadly, my gigantic nose. Let's not discuss my nose. But, let's discuss my toes. I found Glerups, calf-skinned shoes/slippers. With those shoes/slippers (which I wear in public!), I am able to physically tuck my warmly socked toes under my *** and all is well, until I walk into the kitchen. You cannot walk on water with calfskin soles. I'm wondering why you're careful about spilling a few drops.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Same here, no socks, no sleeves to water change anymore lol! Actually I have to wear shorts or roll up my comfy pants too! I take water from the kitchen to fill up the reservoir, so i'm sure I've slipped on the kitchen floor, or at least I know I've gotten a few soakers lol!

juniperlea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
coralbandit said:
My fish room is carpeted ! Real pro here !
I have flooded several times and not slipped ..My wife hates me !
I love reading your post .,
I hope you are ok ..You made this after you got up right ?
When I was on another site I had a thread I named" I spill water everyday " . I still do !
I wear decent shoes to avoid electric shocks !
I love that... "i spill water everyday"....! Yes, I got up, incredibly creative curses from my mouth that I'd be proud to share with everyone of you out there!!!! I really don't care about my bruises. I just really don't want to break things that will cost me money to replace. Bruises and bones will heal. My pocket-book won't!

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Most of the floors in my house are hardwood. Yep, even in the kitchen. I find the wood isn’t as slippery.
But I still wear shoes while doing WCs and I have a couple dedicated fish towels that I throw down before I start. Cause I always spill water!

juniperlea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Basil said:
Most of the floors in my house are hardwood. Yep, even in the kitchen. I find the wood isn’t as slippery.
But I still wear shoes while doing WCs and I have a couple dedicated fish towels that I throw down before I start. Cause I always spill water!
Lucky you. You have REAL hardwood floors. I have a roll of late 1970s linoleum (I'll bet you don't even know what that is).

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
juniperlea said:
I'm wondering why you're careful about spilling a few drops.
I don't understand what you're wondering about, but I'll try to explain. To start, I use a 2.5 gallon bucket, not a 5, so it's much easier to handle. Yes, I have to make more trips, but my tanks are in the room adjoining the kitchen, so the extra trips aren't an issue in my opinion.

And second, all that gets on the floor is what drips off while I'm carrying it if the bottom of the bucket is wet.

AcuarioAmazonico

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Entire house is hard wood floor (kitchen too) but for the bathrooms. I spill everyday. I don’t even care anymore. I know that I’m going to spill so water change is done in short with no shoes and a few old towels around to mop up the biggest sploshes and then I get the mop out and pretend to be a clean housekeeper

Dechi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Buy a python, no more water on the floor.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JettsPapa said:
I don't understand what you're wondering about, but I'll try to explain. To start, I use a 2.5 gallon bucket, not a 5, so it's much easier to handle. Yes, I have to make more trips, but my tanks are in the room adjoining the kitchen, so the extra trips aren't an issue in my opinion.

And second, all that gets on the floor is what drips off while I'm carrying it if the bottom of the bucket is wet.
Same here. But a 2 gallon bucket is all I trust myself to carry from kitchen to tank. To prevent drips I hold a folded paper towel under the bucket while carrying it. I don't trust the handle not to break so never carry it by the handle. One hand on the top edge of the bucket and one holding a paper towel on the bottom. Perfect position for pouring the water into the tank. :)

I have 2 dedicated bath towels that I put down before I start my water changes. I can't afford to slip and fall so do everything I can think of to keep it from happening. Old age and brittle bones is the pits.
Dechi said:
Buy a python, no more water on the floor.
That is until you have a really bad water changing day and the connections pop loose. I wish I could remember who that happened to just a couple of days ago. :D

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
juniperlea said:
Lucky you. You have REAL hardwood floors. I have a roll of late 1970s linoleum (I'll bet you don't even know what that is).
Born in 1966 so I definitely know what linoleum is lol!
Which is why I have a house full of wood floors! Ok, some of the floors have been there since 1901. And they are not even so no tanks in that part of the house. But our addition is all wood and it’s level :D

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I changed my water today, no drips...but I don't use buckets. Just a pond pump and a python...easy peasy.

Dechi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
mattgirl said:
That is until you have a really bad water changing day and the connections pop loose. I wish I could remember who that happened to just a couple of days ago. :D
I suppose it can happen but it’s never happened to me in 10+ years and I never tightened them even once. Now I will and I’m good for another 10 years, lol !

juniperlea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Basil said:
Born in 1966 so I definitely know what linoleum is lol!
Which is why I have a house full of wood floors! Ok, some of the floors have been there since 1901. And they are not even so no tanks in that part of the house. But our addition is all wood and it’s level :D
Born in 1959. I live in a slab foundation apartment complex, somewhat put together in the in the late 1970s. I really, really, wish I lived in a building constructed in 1901! A (real) floor, a (real) floor, my kingdom for a (real) floor! LOL!

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I always get a bit on the floor but come the weekend the living room needs a mop anyway so its not a problem

AcuarioAmazonico

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My two biggest fears:

coming home and feeling the wet (flooded) floor under my feet,

and

walking in and knowing there’s been a tank jump as you smelt that dry fish on the floor odour the second you opened the door :)

juniperlea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
AcuarioAmazonico said:
My two biggest fears:

coming home and feeling the wet (flooded) floor under my feet,

and

walking in and knowing there’s been a tank jump as you smelt that dry fish on the floor odour the second you opened the door :)
Oh my goodness, Is that like finding the african dwarf frog that you know you 'lost' and found two months later, under some physical structure in your kitchen?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom