Is www.aqadvisor.com accurate?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by DTurner, Jul 16, 2015.

1. D

DTurner Valued Member Member

Hey Guys,

I found a post that said go to   and enter in my info to get a estimated stocking list for my aquarium.

I have a 20 Gallon Long, Planted Aquarium. I have a Fluval 106 Canister FIlter as well.

So I entered this information in and started looking at the fish. I placed the following for Stocking the tank:
    -2 Dwarf Gourami's
    -10 Neon Tetras
    -5 Guppys

Besides the fact that Guppys breed like crazy and 5 could become 500 if you let it, this website said this is only 80% stocking capacity. That seems like a lot of fish for a 20 Gallon tank.

Any Input?

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

Don't trust everything on AqAdvisor. It's better to trust your own experience and the experience of those who have actually been there, and done that.

AqAdvisor is known for being pretty inaccurate at times.

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I trust the experience and advice of people on here for stocking questions more than AqAdvisor, I believe a lot of people have this same mentality also...

5. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with the above posters, Aqadvisor isn't that great. I would stick to asking here for stocking.

6. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

If it's a 20 high, I think that is ok. If it's a 20 long, you have room for some more.

Aren't dwarf gourami suppose to be kept as single?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. Anders247

A pair of male/female would work, but 2 males, which are far more common than females, wouldn't.
    A large group (5+) of males would be OK, it's kind of like cichlids, more to reduce aggression. But this tank is too small for a group, imo....

8. OP
    OP
    D

I'm planning on a Male/Female pair of Dwarf Gourami's. I'm aware of not having 2 males unless there is ample space so they don't fight over territory.

As for the additional fish I was thinking of neon's since they school very well. But then my fiance likes the look of fancy guppies. If i could do all 3 species that would actually be kinda cool I think.

9. Anders247

Are you sure you can find a female? Do you know how to sex them?

10. Dom90

I dont think you have the tank space to do all three, unfortunately...

Also agreed, dwarf gourami females are kind of a rare find in LFS's..

11. Anders247

I think it's fine, as long as the guppies are all male.

12. OP
    OP
    D

Anders247 I am aware of the characteristic differences in male and female. however i have a LFS that goes to buy fish from larger wholesalers every month or so and I can request very specific things and he will be able to get it.

If someone knows, would Dwarf Gourami's be nippy to Fancy Guppies long fins? If so then I'll just do neon's instead.

13. Anders247

Dwarf gouramis in my experience aren't nippy. Though they can be aggressive at times, it depends on the fish itself.

14. Dom90

Well, they normally occupy the same space in tanks so i'd be wary and monitor behavior.

15. OP
    OP
    D

Dom90 I suppose if they occupy a similar swimming level of the tank, i'll do some more research and figure out if there is another fish that would be good at a different level.

16. Dom90

Have you considered otocinclus for bottom feeders? I'm not sure what your stock list looks like atm.

17. Anders247

2 dwarf gouramis, 5 guppies, 10 neon tetras is his list.

18. OP
    OP
    D

I currently am only have 2 nerite snails in the tank, still waiting to see if it is going to spike at all however i heavily planted it so it may do a silent cycle anyway.

I have a Sand Cap over Flourite and Dirt so I wouldn't want a bottom feeder that will really stir up the sand too much. However don't Oto's get rather big?

19. Dom90

Ok so it would be top-middle- gouramis and guppies... and tetras mostly stay in the middle so.. Otos only get to be about 2".

20. OP
    OP
    D

The stock list I know I want so far are 2 Dwarf Gourami's and 5-10 Red Cherry Shrimp - Again a heavily planted aquarium with both Ground, and Floating plants.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice