Is what I plan to do for my 25gal okay?

Silverleaf209

So I know how many times I have asked this question but . . .

I have . . .

- 3 Peppered Cories
- 1 Galaxy rasbora (Tried to get more, they all died and he is now sick)
- 1 Female betta
- 5 Guppies
- 4 Platys (1 male, 2 females, and one fry who I think is also a female)
- 3 Mystery snails
- 3 Nerite snails
- 1 Bladder snail in my breeding trap with the single fry

My Plants are . . .

- 6 African water ferns (One big, five small )
- 1 Amazon sword
- 1 Anibus nana
- A couple sad leaves of wisteria that I failed at growing
- 1 Banana plant

I would like to add . . .

- 3 African dwarf frogs if possible
- 3 more Peppered Cories
- Loads of shrimp (Like 15+)

The filter for this tank is a Top fin 40g

Zach B.

Just know that dwarf frogs are hard to feed you will likely have to target feed the frogs. I would never introduce new fish while you have a sick fish in the tank. You can add shrimp but Betta fish might pick them apart so I would be careful.

If it where me adding fish to that tank I would add 3-5 peppered Corries after your galaxy rasbora's sickness passes but know that your platies and guppies will make more babies and you will probably need to give some away or sell them. I purchased 8 platies for a 29 gallon tank and ended up giving away over 40 after 6-8 months. It is work to post an ad catch them and give them away.

Silverleaf209

Just know that dwarf frogs are hard to feed you will likely have to target feed the frogs. I would never introduce new fish while you have a sick fish in the tank. You can add shrimp but Betta fish might pick them apart so I would be careful.

If it where me adding fish to that tank I would add 3-5 peppered Corries after your galaxy rasbora's sickness passes but know that your platies and guppies will make more babies and you will probably need to give some away or sell them. I purchased 8 platies for a 29 gallon tank and ended up giving away over 40 after 6-8 months. It is work to post an ad catch them and give them away.
So sadly yesterday the sick fish did pass away in quarantine, the betta is harmless, she only bothers the guppies that don't give her any room, all of my guppies are male so no babies there! I do plan to give away some of the platy fry, how hard is it to feed African dwarf frogs, what do you have to do?

Zach B.

So sadly yesterday the sick fish did pass away in quarantine, the betta is harmless, she only bothers the guppies that don't give her any room, all of my guppies are male so no babies there! I do plan to give away some of the platy fry, how hard is it to feed African dwarf frogs, what do you have to do?
When I had the dwarf frogs they don't have good eye sight so it is hard for them to find the food. What I had to do is get some long tongs and keep the worms in front of their face and they would lunge at them and eat them. They get out competed for food very easy and it is very hard for them to find flake food or pellets so I found that they don't eat much unless they are in a tank with fish that won't eat off the bottom or are very slow to the food. I would alternate between small freeze dried krill or broken pieces and some freeze dried blood worms and frozen bloodworms I had them successfully in a tank with other fish for a while but ended up getting them a small tank for themselves. I personally don't want to have to target feed fish/frogs like that anymore so I don't keep plecos, frogs, or any other fish that is slow to the food. Sorry for the delayed response I have been quite busy lately. I am sure there is techniques people have found to keep frogs and fish together so maybe researching them would help also.

Silverleaf209

When I had the dwarf frogs they don't have good eye sight so it is hard for them to find the food. What I had to do is get some long tongs and keep the worms in front of their face and they would lunge at them and eat them. They get out competed for food very easy and it is very hard for them to find flake food or pellets so I found that they don't eat much unless they are in a tank with fish that won't eat off the bottom or are very slow to the food. I would alternate between small freeze dried krill or broken pieces and some freeze dried blood worms and frozen bloodworms I had them successfully in a tank with other fish for a while but ended up getting them a small tank for themselves. I personally don't want to have to target feed fish/frogs like that anymore so I don't keep plecos, frogs, or any other fish that is slow to the food. Sorry for the delayed response I have been quite busy lately. I am sure there is techniques people have found to keep frogs and fish together so maybe researching them would help also.
Okay, so I probably won't get some dwarf frogs, No issues with the delay, I am fine with you taking all the time you need! Instead of african dwarf frogs can I do 2 more mollies or platys or is that pushing it?

sunflower430

Just say no to the frogs! Messy buggers. I'd say definitely add some more cories to get their numbers up to what they are comfortable with. And if you want to add shrimp, add just a couple first to make sure they aren't going to become snacks. Platys will add themselves.

Silverleaf209

Just say no to the frogs! Messy buggers. I'd say definitely add some more cories to get their numbers up to what they are comfortable with. And if you want to add shrimp, add just a couple first to make sure they aren't going to become snacks. Platys will add themselves.
Thanks! Okay so I have one baby currently she has not had more, so could I add one more molly and then leave it be after I add the cories and shrimp?

sunflower430

Thanks! Okay so I have one baby currently she has not had more, so could I add one more molly and then leave it be after I add the cories and shrimp?
Do you have other mollies? I didn't see them on the list. I wouldn't add just one if it was me.

Silverleaf209

Do you have other mollies? I didn't see them on the list. I wouldn't add just one if it was me.
I don't have any other Mollies, aren't they similar to platys, I also thought it would be fine since they didn't school.

sunflower430

I don't have any other Mollies, aren't they similar to platys, I also thought it would be fine since they didn't school.
Mollies are shoaling so they like to be in groups, but don't school. I think mollies and guppies can breed together, but not platies. I'm not sure if they are close enough to feel like a shoal.

Silverleaf209

Mollies are shoaling so they like to be in groups, but don't school. I think mollies and guppies can breed together, but not platies. I'm not sure if they are close enough to feel like a shoal.
Darn!!! Your are completely right!! I did not realize it they breed with guppies not platys! Lucky I checked here first! I am not to sure if they won't shoal looking it up now, but you have proven me wrong so I am not going to disagree!

sunflower430

Darn!!! Your are completely right!! I did not realize it they breed with guppies not platys! Lucky I checked here first! I am not to sure if they won't shoal looking it up now, but you have proven me wrong so I am not going to disagree!
Another thing to keep in mind is the molly may nip at your guppies or your betta. (Can you tell I'm not the biggest fan of mollies?) Platies too, so just keep an eye on your flowy tail fish.

Silverleaf209

Another thing to keep in mind is the molly may nip at your guppies or your betta. (Can you tell I'm not the biggest fan of mollies?)
Yeah . . . Bad experience? I don't think my guppies or betta will stand for that, the guppies are kind of like the tank bullies, and the betta is relatively chill but can become aggressive if picked on.

Zach B.

Here is my thought on stocking in general and maybe it will help you with your decision. Will adding this fish help or harm the general conditions in the tank. Adding fish will increase the amount of waste in the tank requiring more water changes and is less forgiving when you "don't feel like changing water" because let's face it changing water is not that much fun but the part of fish keeping that is absolutely necessary for the health of the fish not just in the short term but also the long term. So the first question I ask myself is can I handle the increase in work. The next thing is will adding more fish help improve the life of the fish I already have? I at one point had a tank of platies it was a 29 gallon and I think I counted it up at 45 in the tank the fish where always out and swimming everyone was loving life I reduced the stock down to 10 of my favorites and gave away the rest. I was tired of changing water every 4-5 days to keep the nitrates at a low level but I definitely saw a difference in the fish behavior they would hide and not be swimming as much. I got the stocking up to about 18 and they where back out and swimming happy as can be. Long story short is do I think you can add more fish yes but if you do increase the groups you already have but also know that it is your responsibility to keep the water clean for them and add slowly I would start with getting your Corys up to a group of 6 or more of the same species. Then keep a close eye on your nitrates and make sure you keep them low. Then make a judgement call on how many more you can keep. Would the tank like a few more platies and Corys I think yes as long as you can keep the water quality.

Silverleaf209

Here is my thought on stocking in general and maybe it will help you with your decision. Will adding this fish help or harm the general conditions in the tank. Adding fish will increase the amount of waste in the tank requiring more water changes and is less forgiving when you "don't feel like changing water" because let's face it changing water is not that much fun but the part of fish keeping that is absolutely necessary for the health of the fish not just in the short term but also the long term. So the first question I ask myself is can I handle the increase in work. The next thing is will adding more fish help improve the life of the fish I already have? I at one point had a tank of platies it was a 29 gallon and I think I counted it up at 45 in the tank the fish where always out and swimming everyone was loving life I reduced the stock down to 10 of my favorites and gave away the rest. I was tired of changing water every 4-5 days to keep the nitrates at a low level but I definitely saw a difference in the fish behavior they would hide and not be swimming as much. I got the stocking up to about 18 and they where back out and swimming happy as can be. Long story short is do I think you can add more fish yes but if you do increase the groups you already have but also know that it is your responsibility to keep the water clean for them and add slowly I would start with getting your Corys up to a group of 6 or more of the same species. Then keep a close eye on your nitrates and make sure you keep them low. Then make a judgement call on how many more you can keep. Would the tank like a few more platies and Corys I think yes as long as you can keep the water quality.
I am currently doing a 25% weekly, should I up it?

Zach B.

I am currently doing a 25% weekly, should I up it?
Water changes in my opinion are almost completely dependent on nitrate levels. Test kits are a must when changing the stock of an aquarium in my opinion. Water changes have more benefits than just nitrate removal but the major reason for water changes is to remove nitrates. If your 25% per week is comfortable then stick with it as long as you don't see a gradual rise in nitrates. If you increase the stocking and your nitrates stay low then there is no problem. If you need to increase your water changes just increase the % changed per water change.

Silverleaf209

Water changes in my opinion are almost completely dependent on nitrate levels. Test kits are a must when changing the stock of an aquarium in my opinion. Water changes have more benefits than just nitrate removal but the major reason for water changes is to remove nitrates. If your 25% per week is comfortable then stick with it as long as you don't see a gradual rise in nitrates. If you increase the stocking and your nitrates stay low then there is no problem. If you need to increase your water changes just increase the % changed per water change.
okay! when I tested last I tested was before a water change and it was at zero.

sunflower430

okay! when I tested last I tested was before a water change and it was at zero.
How new is your tank?

Silverleaf209

sunflower430

Around 4 months old, I cycled it using the water from my old tabeyond the scope of your original question but the zero nitrate and dying fish red flags your tank might not be fully cycled. Do you have means to test ammonia and nitrite too? Just keep an eye for spikes in those. Back to the original question, I recise to say I probably wouldn't add anything else for another month or two until you know your cycle is solid with this load.

Around 4 months old, I cycled it using the water from my old tank.
A bit beyond the scope of your original question but the zero nitrate and dying fish are red flags your tank might not be fully cycled. Do you have means to test ammonia and nitrite too? Keep an eye for spikes in those. Back to the original question, I revise to say I probably wouldn't add anything else for another month or two until you know your cycle is solid with this load.

Silverleaf209

A bit beyond the scope of your original question but the zero nitrate and dying fish are red flags your tank might not be fully cycled. Do you have means to test ammonia and nitrite too? Keep an eye for spikes in those. Back to the original question, I revise to say I probably wouldn't add anything else for another month or two until you know your cycle is solid with this load.
It's cycles, the fish got a fungal infection, all the fish seem just fine in the tank no signs of stress.

Zach B.

Water might help cycle a tank a bit but 95%+ of your benefitial bacteria live on your substrate, surfaces, and filter. You need to at least have test strips. In my opinion when you are setting up a new tank and 4 months is definitely a new tank. If it has been running for 4 months you are most likely cycled by now. Maybe I am overboard but what I do is buy a large pack of test strips and cut them in half to save money. I test before water changes every time with strips but I use a test kit when setting up or changing stocking because you never know when something changes so knowing you water is important. For an example I tested once before a water change and saw a big spike in nitrates then inspected a little closer and found a dead fish likely had an infection from scraping on a rock but it was polluting the water and was tucked under a rock.
On a separate but equally important note you will read nitrates in parts per million (ppm) if you have 30 ppm of nitrates and you do a 25% water change you will reduce the nitrates by 7-8 ppm if you are gaining 10 ppm per week then your nitrates will steadily climb over time. I fix this by doing 25% water changes then maybe once a month do 40%. It is all relative because we don't get a digital reading on nitrates but a ball park number. There is also debate on doing one large water change less often verses smaller more frequent water changes. I personally say do what works for you as long as the water is healthy and the fish are happy. My hope is to help educate not to criticize so I hope none of this comes across as criticism.

Silverleaf209

Water might help cycle a tank a bit but 95%+ of your benefitial bacteria live on your substrate, surfaces, and filter. You need to at least have test strips. In my opinion when you are setting up a new tank and 4 months is definitely a new tank. If it has been running for 4 months you are most likely cycled by now. Maybe I am overboard but what I do is buy a large pack of test strips and cut them in half to save money. I test before water changes every time with strips but I use a test kit when setting up or changing stocking because you never know when something changes so knowing you water is important. For an example I tested once before a water change and saw a big spike in nitrates then inspected a little closer and found a dead fish likely had an infection from scraping on a rock but it was polluting the water and was tucked under a rock.
On a separate but equally important note you will read nitrates in parts per million (ppm) if you have 30 ppm of nitrates and you do a 25% water change you will reduce the nitrates by 7-8 ppm if you are gaining 10 ppm per week then your nitrates will steadily climb over time. I fix this by doing 25% water changes then maybe once a month do 40%. It is all relative because we don't get a digital reading on nitrates but a ball park number. There is also debate on doing one large water change less often verses smaller more frequent water changes. I personally say do what works for you as long as the water is healthy and the fish are happy. My hope is to help educate not to criticize so I hope none of this comes across as criticism.
No your fine, I do have test strips, I will test right now, yesterday I did a water change so this is a reading of the day after, Ammonia: 0ppm , Nitrate: 20ppm , Nitrite: 0ppm , PH: 7.5ppm , KH: 40ppm , GH: 120ppm .

Zach B.

20 ppb is kinda my baseline for a planted tank. I keep mine between 10-30 I would test again in a week just before your water change then again after and keep a log. I do this for a new tank when I am done stocking it. Then I build a maintenance plan for that tank. If your nitrates are raising fast another option to reduce water change load is floating plants but I have had floating plants suck my nitrates down to 0 or close to it and I was having to add fertilizer to keep the other plants from dieing. Just know that as your platys have fry your schedule will need to increase a bit. I think you have a good handle on it and hope you enjoy the tank after all that is why we have aquariums in the first place.

One last thing, and it may be an unpopular opinion but if there is a fish you don't enjoy like the Corys for example (not saying you don't enjoy them just a hypothetical situation) instead of getting more to make them happy responsibly rehoming them may be the better choice. I went so long having a tank I didn't enjoy because the fish where not what I wanted anymore and before I realized this I ended up neglecting my tank to a degree and not giving them optimal living conditions. I regret that and I found a home for them that was exactly what the person wanted and got the things I really wanted and it made the world of difference.

Silverleaf209

20 ppb is kinda my baseline for a planted tank. I keep mine between 10-30 I would test again in a week just before your water change then again after and keep a log. I do this for a new tank when I am done stocking it. Then I build a maintenance plan for that tank. If your nitrates are raising fast another option to reduce water change load is floating plants but I have had floating plants suck my nitrates down to 0 or close to it and I was having to add fertilizer to keep the other plants from dieing. Just know that as your platys have fry your schedule will need to increase a bit. I think you have a good handle on it and hope you enjoy the tank after all that is why we have aquariums in the first place.

One last thing, and it may be an unpopular opinion but if there is a fish you don't enjoy like the Corys for example (not saying you don't enjoy them just a hypothetical situation) instead of getting more to make them happy responsibly rehoming them may be the better choice. I went so long having a tank I didn't enjoy because the fish where not what I wanted anymore and before I realized this I ended up neglecting my tank to a degree and not giving them optimal living conditions. I regret that and I found a home for them that was exactly what the person wanted and got the things I really wanted and it made the world of difference.
Okay thank you, I have a quick question, I have a swordtail guppy and he is about half the size of a normal guppy, he tends to get a bit picked on by the bigger guppies, I just noticed some stress on him, do you think it is the guppies, or is he just not comfortable in my tank with all of the fish?

Zach B.

I have never owned guppies so I can't answer with a great bit of knowledge but if there is a smaller fish they will be the biggest target of bullying. Larger numbers of one species will spread that attention out but it may be a different underlying issue as you lost you rasboras recently.

Silverleaf209

I have never owned guppies so I can't answer with a great bit of knowledge but if there is a smaller fish they will be the biggest target of bullying. Larger numbers of one species will spread that attention out but it may be a different underlying issue as you lost you rasboras recently.
Sadly one of my guppies just died of dropsy and then one of my platys died of unidentified causes so I think I will wait before I do anything in my tank, Thanks for your help!

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom