Is velvet contagious?

DEADFISH

Reaction score
1/18 fish had it and died in my tank....within 2 hours of it dying i did a 80-90% water change and put water conditioner stuff in it too. and they're all doing ifne and acting normal...but should i get stuff to treat them for velvet too or willl thye be fine?

DEADFISH

Reaction score
as in
yes it is contagious or
yes i should do something or
yes they will be fine?

DEADFISH

Reaction score
ok thanks and my other dalmation molly just died i'm pretty sure it was from the velvet :'(
is there anything that i can do tonight to prevent my one stray fry and catfish in my tank from dying?!?!?
because nothing is open at 10:30 at night...

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
raise the temperature to 83 degrees F or 24 degrees C and leave it there for 14 days to get the parasites off of the fish and into the water where they will die of the treatment you use to kill them. There are several treatment you can use. There is an EXCELLENT product called Quick Cure by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc that does a great job on it. Any medication containing Malachite Green and Formalin will work though. It wil turn the silcone or any suction cups or anything made of rubber or such in your tank a permanent green though but worth it for the cure. Do not be worried about the other stuff as the green will disappear eventually when the carbon is readded to the tank ( do not forget to take the carbon out of the filter before adding any medication or the filter will remove any medication you add to your tank.)

It also helps to darken your tank as this is one parasite that thrives on light. I would even recommend covering the tank with a black garbage trash bag loosely.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom