Is UV effective in preventing pathogen introduction? Important 

AZL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm planning to add a couple of tank mates for my puffers and am really paranoid about introducing disease to them. I've had no problems with the fish and inverts in the reef tank that all came from the one private dealer and the live rock in tthe puffer's tank came from his sump. He now runs UV - 600 watt Vecton. I've heard mixed things as to whether UV actually eliminates risk or not. The creatures I'd like to bring home and add this week will have been in that UV environment for a month. What do you lot think about the potential disease risk given those factors?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes a uv kills what goes through it. Nothing wrong with using them.

AZL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So
86 ssinit said:
Yes a uv kills what goes through it. Nothing wrong with using them.
so a fish kept in UV definitely won't bring anything like ick, brook, velvet, etc with it? I'm so worried as while I love all my fish the puffers are more like water puppies, I could't bear to lose them to disease through adding tank mates.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A fish living in a uv tank has less chance of contracting illnesses. Now once you remove him and add him to your tank. That’s different and I don’t know how he will be in your tank. If you have up in your tank all should be good. If not I would qt the fish for a month before adding to your tank. Any fish or plants I’m uncertain of I qt.

AZL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The dealer has been keeping the fish in UV, I do not run UV but there are only my pair of puffers in the tank and no history of disease apart from eye worms soon after I got them nearly a year ago which was treated. I realise a newly introduced fish might pick up something from my tank that the puffers are not susceptible to but my main concern is of the fish bringing some pathogen to what seems to be a disease free tank. I am unable to set up QT for the foreseeable future as there is nowhere secure from the cats to do so. The main tanks aren't vulnerable to them but a little QT tank is an issue.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No guarantee. Could be because it’s been in a uv tank it’s immunity system isn’t working at its best. With nothing for it to fight it could be weak. Just the trip from the pet store could harm the fish. If it gets cold it could get ick. Carry it in a warm cooler. What kind of fish are you looking at

AZL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's coming from a private stockist's tank, not a shop and will be transported in a thermal container. Watchman goby and a pistol shrimp if he has one in stock. There shouldn't be anything to make it sick in my tank, more concerned as it if it will be harbouring any parasites and wondering if the 4 weeks of UV will have killed anything in it's system already.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok just seeing this is a salt water thread. Sorry there are fresh water puffers. Thought this was a fresh water thread. But I thought uv steralizer were a must for reef tanks. Also would a shrimp be safe with a puffer?

AZL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
No worries, there are indeed but these are green spotted puffers in full marine. Not all reefers run UV, i don't find a need for it personally, the dealer only installed it to reduce pathogen risk although he's never had issues either. you're quite right, shrimps are generally food for puffers but mine are weirdos. They've been keeping a feeder river shrimp as a 'pet' for months now!

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I had reefs for 17 years and ran a UV for a bit. I found it of no use so I sold it.
Here the run down on UV.
A UV is effective at killing algae, bacteria, and parasites of and only if the dwell time is correct, the UV bulb was changed on schedule(usually not done) and all the water goes through the UV as in some not bypassed. UV will only kill what’s in the water column so if the watchman goby has something already it won’t prevent that something on that fish but could prevent it from spreading.
How are you getting this from a private tank if your saying you’ll get the goby and shrimp if he has one in stock? Seems like a dealer to me.
It’s a **** shoot but if he’s had it for a month and nothing else always added in that timeframe chances are you’re ok. If he added a new fish last week well then it’s much riskier. I QT’d all my saltwater fish for a month.

AZL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you, that's helpful. Yes, the fish are from a licensed dealer but he keeps a stock tank in an annex to his home, it's not a shop. His supplier only sells captive bred fish and QT's for a month before he collects them. They are then kept in his system until sold to his local client base including me and the live rock he sells (some of which has just gone into the puffer's upgrade tank) are in the sump of that system. Any fish or inverts from tank breakdowns he keeps separately for a month. He only installed this UV 6 weeks ago so bulb is fresh, the watchman I'm buying came in a month ago. I have checked and he had more stock in a week ago, no more due in until after the holidays now. I set up for tank transfer method QT with H2O2 dosing in the one room in the house I can shut cats out of as while they can't really interfere with fish in large main tanks delicate marine fish going through QT are easily spooked and stressed by them. Unfortunately one of our cats has become very neurotic and the vet has recommended she stay in that room to reduce her stress levels. The ram fry up there have been fine even with her messing around but she knocked boxes onto the QT tank. I can't feasibly hold fish up there for QT or anywhere else in the house. :(

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
AZL said:
Thank you, that's helpful. Yes, the fish are from a licensed dealer but he keeps a stock tank in an annex to his home, it's not a shop. His supplier only sells captive bred fish and QT's for a month before he collects them. They are then kept in his system until sold to his local client base including me and the live rock he sells (some of which has just gone into the puffer's upgrade tank) are in the sump of that system. Any fish or inverts from tank breakdowns he keeps separately for a month. He only installed this UV 6 weeks ago so bulb is fresh, the watchman I'm buying came in a month ago. I have checked and he had more stock in a week ago, no more due in until after the holidays now. I set up for tank transfer method QT with H2O2 dosing in the one room in the house I can shut cats out of as while they can't really interfere with fish in large main tanks delicate marine fish going through QT are easily spooked and stressed by them. Unfortunately one of our cats has become very neurotic and the vet has recommended she stay in that room to reduce her stress levels. The ram fry up there have been fine even with her messing around but she knocked boxes onto the QT tank. I can't feasibly hold fish up there for QT or anywhere else in the house. :(
Yes I’m u fortunately well aware cats can mess with fish in QT. I had a tang in QT and went out of town for a few days due to work. I told my wife to keep the cat locked out of the room. I came back from my work trip and the cat was in the room and it’s head looked like it was following a pro ping pong match. Back and forth back and forth following the fish. It was stressed to the max and covered in ich. It died relatively quickly and I was rather mad at my wife.

AZL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Arrrg yeah it's a problem. Most of my fish actually enjoy interacting with the cats and the marine tank isn't accessible to them at all as a little to high to jump onto and no ledge in front but QT is an issue. normally I can lock that room but not for the foreseeable future. I'm agonizing over this, I wouldn't consider putting fish straight in from a shop or a tank I knew nothing about but I've had no issues. If it was just a case of patience I'd happily wait weeks or months until the cat can be locked out of that room but if tank mates don't go in quite soon the puffers may be too territorial.

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I understand where you’re coming from. You know the situation and you seem to have good knowledge so I’m sure you can handle it.

GlennO

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
AZL said:
I'm planning to add a couple of tank mates for my puffers and am really paranoid about introducing disease to them. I've had no problems with the fish and inverts in the reef tank that all came from the one private dealer and the live rock in tthe puffer's tank came from his sump. He now runs UV - 600 watt Vecton. I've heard mixed things as to whether UV actually eliminates risk or not. The creatures I'd like to bring home and add this week will have been in that UV environment for a month. What do you lot think about the potential disease risk given those factors?
I don’t think the fact that the seller runs UV is of any consequence to you as a buyer. Treat the fish (including quarantine) as you would normally. Btw I’m sure it would be the Vecton 600 (25 watt) model, not 600 watt.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads