Is Too Much Filtration Possible?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by brondo, Apr 4, 2019.

1. brondoValued MemberMember

So I have a 95g with a 10" Fahaka Puffer and I am shopping for a new canister filter, I need a little advice. Im looking at the Aquatop CF either 400 or 500. The 400 is rated at 370gph and the 500 at 525gph.
    I also run one of those big fat sponges.
    So, I know that 370 is technically good enough, but would I be happier with morw filtration? Do I need to bother? The price difference is something in the $40 range.
    Btw, it has a UV Sterilizer. But wont that just kill any good biologicals in my filter??

2. AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

I don’t like the aquatops to be honest, the UV sterilizers aren’t very strong, and the canisters themselves are extremely heavy.

With a 95 gallon and a messy Puffer, I’d be looking at a Fluval Fx4. You wouldn’t even be close to over filtering with the Aquatop. The only way you could “overfilter” would be by too much flow, making your fish blow around.

3. JenCWell Known MemberMember

I'm of the opinion that you can't have too much filtration.
    You can have too strong a water current from big filters, though.

A common external canister target is 5x tank turnover per hour, which would be 475 GPH for a typically-stocked 95g. You mentioned a big sponge filter, so maybe together they'll give what you need depending on how much it filters. But aren't puffers pretty messy? I'd aim for more not less filtration.

4. CandyCane701Well Known MemberMember

I wouldn't worry about your current filtration. And I always think more is better unless you have a specific species that needs low filtration. I'd say go for it.

5. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

the 500 would give you about 5.5X turnover rate with is good.

6. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Aquatop canisters are rebranded SunSun's from what I recall.

Consider a SunSun 704B. Usually go for $79 online.

UV clarifiers built into canisters do not shine light directly into the baskets, so none of the media are exposed to UV rays.

7. brondoValued MemberMember

Lol. The Fx4 is almost twice as much in price and runs at 700gph. I have a fluval 406 and am not impressed. Its been a problem from day one. And now makes this crazy sound. From what I know 4-5 times gallons = ghp that is appropriate. I just cant spend that much.

8. brondoValued MemberMember

I have read that they are the same but the Sun sun is made with slightly cheaper materials and I definately dont want a leak. Have you ever had either?

9. Morpheus1967Well Known MemberMember

I have a couple of Cascade filters and I really like them. I have 2 1500s on a 75 gallon tank. I especially like the adjustable output on these filters.

10. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

I have a Sunsun 303B going on 8 years now running perfect and strong. Since Sunsun makes all their own materials they can offer a much lower price point. After researching probably why Sunsun and it's affiliates sell more canisters than all others combined.

11. brondoValued MemberMember

Really? Well thank you for letting me know. Hmmmmm

12. H2O ConciergeValued MemberMember

Researching canisters can be a complicated task that can take a lot of time. GPH, water volume, media volume, wattage consumption, # of trays, quick connects, flow adjust, built in UV and or heater, weight, physical size,... Over the years I have tried different types and setups. I may have become biased but I really like what I have found using Eheim. Their listed GPH rating is when it is full of the very adequate included media. A lot of other manufactures list the GPH without media. I realize that Eheim can be costly but in the long run I believe it evens out. I have become a believer in keeping 2 smaller canisters vs 1 large. There are many advantages. I like the fact that I can alternate filter maintenance between the two. The Eheim I used on my 75g was a 2217 for years (it is my reserve backup now) until I replaced it with a 2273 & a 2275 on alternate ends of the tank. I shopped around and got a good deal. Sorry this got a little long. Good Luck on your search.

13. brondoValued MemberMember

Oh, I bought and installed, after having to modify the opening on my stand (SMH),
    The Aquatop CF500. Its Huge. Oddly it only seems to have 1 speed of flow. Its my only complaint so far. It was easier to set up then the Fluval I had before. I have left the monster sponge filter, I like having the back up, plus the counter flow and oxygen it provides but it isnt pretty, takes up space and he ( my Fahaka) is starting to take large chunks out of it so Idk what I will do yet.
    I do appreciate the whole "its more expensive but worth it in the end" thing, I just cant justify it to my pocket book. I cant afford the best, of anything really lol. The Aquatop doesnt feel flimsy or cheap in any way. Its big, too big actually. Knock on wood this thing should be good to go for a long time.

14. H2O ConciergeValued MemberMember

Yes I too considered the Aquatop it has lots of things going for it. Remember that UV under 15 watts is there mostly for water clarity, not sterilization. As with most canisters you might want to consider purchasing a set of seals to keep on hand. Enjoy your new setup, I'm sure your puffer will.