Is This Zebra Angel A Male Or Female?

1. R

Ramkumar New Member Member

Hi,
    Am a newbie and have trouble figuring out if my Zebra Angel is a male or a female. I have been having this one as a solo for more than 2 months now, would I be able to add a pair for this now or would it lead to territorial issues? Currently I have a 10G tank and would be moving to a 30G tank which has a common pleco as one more occupant.

Thank you

2. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Angelfish can’t be sexed until the breeding tube is extended, which is when they’re about to spawn, which is effectively non info at that point. Nice looking fish though.

3. OP
    OP
    R

Oh ok, Thank you.

4. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

First, that's a Marble, not a Zebra. Second, it doesn't look quite mature enough to be sexed. There are probable indicators of sex, though they are not always 100% dependable, but that fish isn't old enough to be showing any of them.

5. OP
    OP
    R

Thank you, I didn't know there was a Marble angelfish until now. Zebra and Silver Marble angel fish look quite similar.

6. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Zebra and regular silver have defined stripes, marble do not (regardless of what other tag they have to their name, you have a silver marble, silver being the color, marble being the pattern).
    A common pleco needs a large tank (125g range) to live comfortably, I would rehome it and stock the 30 gallon around your angel.

7. OP
    OP
    R

Agree..I am thinking of finding a new home for my pleco.