Is this wrong?

1. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

2. AnonymousCatfish

AnonymousCatfish Valued Member Member

It is sad to kill fish for no reason but my opinion is if they are suffering (seriously ill etc.) a great deal it might be the nicest way to go...

3. OP
    OP
    Platylover

I suppose that's true, I'm just concerned that the methods aren't humane. It just concerns me that pithing isn't included in the decapitation... A fish can live as just a head for a while, you have to pith it other wise it's cruel...:( thanks for the reply!:)

4. AnonymousCatfish

It is sad to kill fish for no reason but my opinion is if they are suffering (seriously ill etc.) a great deal it might be the nicest way to go...
    I STRONGLY don't agree with the freezing method as it is very inhumane... imagine being the fish :(:(:(

5. WeepingShadesOfIndigo

WeepingShadesOfIndigo Valued Member Member

I have no science to back me up but my gut says that you would be right. Not 100% humane, I would rather use anaesthetic like clove then to the deed.

6. AnonymousCatfish

Thats ok :)
    It sounds (to me) that alcohol and temperature shock are the best as they are instant.

7. Fettuccini

Fettuccini Well Known Member Member

Clove oil is generally considered the most humane way to kill a fish by most people. It can be used as an anesthesia for fish, but gradually overdosing it will kill the fish after it's already unconscious, so there's no way for it to feel any pain, or even any stress..

As for freezing causing fish pain, there is no real consensus, other than pure assumption, for or against this idea. Let alone the fact that, because of how vastly different their nervous systems are from mammals and birds, there is still no conclusive evidence as to whether or not fish can even feel pain to begin with.

8. OP
    OP
    Platylover

I probably should say I'm 100% ok with helping a fish along if it's for the best. Just got to do it humanly. I can't see the pure vodka way being good nor the freezing and boiling. The best way is clove oil(@Fetruccini, totally agree with you on that). I see what your saying about the pain. These are all very good points .:) thank you all for replying!:D

9. WeepingShadesOfIndigo

WeepingShadesOfIndigo Valued Member Member

Yes there is that whole frog experiment where if you slowly raise the temperature of the water a frog is sitting in it will stay put (despite being able to jump away) until boiled alive as it will not feel the water temperature getting too hot being cold blooded.. the whole thing sounds sickly but if that holds true for fish then temperature shock would seem worse then the slow raising. However I would in no way test that as I have had hot tanks for ich and they seemed to feel it getting hotter and were not pleased when it got to 87-88. Looked hot to me, don't much care if I am personifying my fish its how I think of them.

I agree there is no way to know how fish feel or don't feel. But if I was going to be put out of my misery I would opt for an overdose on anaesthetic over the other more 'distasteful' methods. I guess at this point with no way to ask or discern pain its personal ideas as to what would be less stressful for your fish and I think that the person who wrote that article feels that those are better for their fish whatever the reason.

Have to say that I usually try to save mine right up to the end. I can't say that I have come across any that I have had to put down myself so my personal experience is lacking and am just going off 'feelings'.

Guess we could try to find if scientists have tested fish for Cortisol after employing these methods to see if one method caused less stress then the others. Put this debate to bed and make us feel better about using any of these methods.