Is this worm harmful? In my guppy tank

OP
Lauraaac

Lauraaac

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
BlackSkirtTetra said:
I barely saw it! Could you get a better picture? They seem till look like substrate worms. They are not altogether harmful, but they Eat detritus.
I will try and get another photo, sorry it’s so small

OP
Lauraaac

Lauraaac

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
BlackSkirtTetra said:
I barely saw it! Could you get a better picture? They seem till look like substrate worms. They are not altogether harmful, but they Eat detritus.
Sorry I can’t find another one that big :( I see a lot of them very very small in my tank water but too small to get a photo of

OP
Lauraaac

Lauraaac

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes, they are very small (the one in the photo is the biggest one I found) there very very small, white and wriggle to swim through the water. Also one of my guppies just swims around and eats them

Bettas28

Reaction score
These look like detritus worms to me. They aren’t harmful, in fact all tanks have them! Its just when the population gets to big, that they have to leave the substrate for oxygen. Many fish enjoy eating them as a snack and they don’t cause any harm to the fish. They feed off of detritus in the tank, so the most effective way to get rid of them is doing several small water changes, and keeping up with your tank maintenance. I had this problem and didn’t worry to much about it, I still see them wiggling out and about in the water from time to time. I know they are gross to look at, but they won’t hurt anything.

Hope this helped!

New Threads