Is This Wood Safe For My Aquarium?

Discussion in 'Driftwood' started by Emuhlee, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Emuhlee

Emuhlee Valued Member Member

My dad got some wood at a lake near my house. he says it is cypris. I've boiled it for 4 hours and when i took it out, there was some type of sap on it. it was soooo sticky and brown. im not putting this in my tank. what is it, is it safe, and how do i get rid of that sap crap so i can put it safely in my tank? thanks!!

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

If it’s leaking sap, I wouldn’t put it in a tank at all,

3. OP
    OP
    Emuhlee

dang :( so no way to get rid of the sap? should i just toss is then?

4. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes toss it. If its leaking sap its no good for your tank

5. OP
    OP
    Emuhlee

Okay thank you. All my fish are going to die anyways...i have no clue why. Water is great, enough oxygen but they are still sick acting.

6. Samuel Velez

Samuel Velez New Member Member

hmm.. try boiling and placing it in an oven? eventually it'll dry everything out.. just dont bake it until it catches fire.

the driftwood that we all use in our tanks are just the end part of the process. it all started from a tree, a branch fell, and that branch stayed there all throughout 4 seasons until it got its very hard state. so, if we can boil the wood, then bake it, repeat a few times. eventually the wood will become usable for tanks. for the experts out there, do correct me if i am wrong,

7. OP
    OP
    Emuhlee

Okay. I did boil it for about 5 hours and baked it for another 2 or 3 on 230. Still has sticky brown stuff all over it. So I need to keep doing this and that sticky stuff will just go away? I'm scared lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice