Is This What My Java Moss Should Look Like?

1. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

I feel like my moss is really brown. Before I go tying it on my driftwood I want to make sure this is what it should look like so I don't spend an hour tying it to driftwood for it to just be dead forever. Thanks.

aef9f3e82749ce6a46c50a3f4f4b63c2.jpg 5d8c36af7c5d46e023e4bdbdbb320c7b.jpg 1228a7e0e94854b44fa1fb41e95d23c0.jpg

2. jmaldo Well Known Member Member

When I added some tied to a piece of slate, it did turn a little brown. I was ready to give up then it took off. I would give it a shot.

3. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Ok. It has been living in a plastic breeder for a couple of weeks because it came when I wasn't completely ready for it and it was like this so I am hoping it springs back. Here's hoping!

4. BuddyD Member Member

Where did you get it?

5. jmaldo Well Known Member Member

I keep all my plants in QT for a few weeks due to pest snails. But I still get them. Never tried the dipping. But defiantly give it a try. But give it some time mine took around 3 weeks to start growing. Now I have it in every tank and even trade it to my LFS for credit.

6. stella1979 Well Known Member Member

I know it's only Java moss and is considered super easy..... but. ;) I got some, spent the hour, (or more), tying it to wood and put it in the tank. It started to get a clear fuzziness (algae) and turned brownish, some almost black! Anyhow, I got more plants and finally started using macro ferts. The moss has taken off, it's very green and grows like a weed. I think ferts would help. :)

7. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Amazon

I have flourish. I was going to grab excel but I am afraid of ODing my shrimp and snails and hurting them so I'm not sure. My water is also VERY hard so maybe I'm one of those people who just can't gross moss.

It grew fine for me in Ohio and again in California but the water here in the desert is a whole other animal unfortunately.

Keep me in mind if you ever want to get rid of some. I need some that comes to me green and this was brownish when it arrived unfortunately. It's been in the tank since June 28 which is why it has me so worried.

8. jmaldo Well Known Member Member

I do Seachem ferts along with excel, nerite, mystery snails and amano shrimp doing fine. I have a large and small bush floating in a a 10 gal getting everything ready for a Planted Shrimp tank.
    Not sure how much I'll use. Here's a pic.

Java Moss Bush.jpg

Once its done maybe we could swap. Good Luck.

9. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

For sure. I have anacharis and hornwort that are starting to get a little crazy so trading would be awesome lol