Is this what crack is like?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by ericlacross, Mar 27, 2010.

1. e

ericlacross New Member Member

Ok, so I have an issue, and I would love some ideas!

I just recently got finished setting up my Mbuna tank, and I ran into an unusual problem. I ordered some fish online, becuase I live in Central Michigan and there isn't a decent LFS for about 120 miles away. And the fish came and look absolutely stunning! But they got the order wrong and sent me a wrong male fish. I ordered 1M/3F Blue Cobalts and they sent me 3F Blue Cobalts and 1M Red Top Zebra. So they were very helpful and offered to send me the 1M Blue Cobalt & 3F Red Top Zebras for free! I was stoked, until I opened the box...2M Blue Cobalts & 3 RED ZEBRAS! Not Red Top! So now I still have 1M Red Top Zebras with no females AND 3 Red Zebras with no male.:;fru And I already have WAAAAAAAYYY too many fish in there I'm afraid!

So.....I just bought a 125 gallon tank. (I think I have an addiction! LOL) So my plan is, I REALLY, REALLY want to keep the 55gal as my Mbuna tank! I worked so hard on planning and setting it up, and I think it looks pretty darn good if do say so myself!:;rocker But I know I am going to have to move some of the cichlids to the 125. I will post all my fish in the 55 and would love any suggestions on who should move to the bigger tank. Keep in mind on the bigger tank, I would love to have some larger fish in there, but I have no clue what? I was thinking of a Red Tail Shark, but not sure on that either. Just some larger fish with some personality and a little bit of 'tude! Thats why I love the African Cichlids!

Ok, so here is the list, and keep in mind that they are all 1"-2" right now so its not crowded but I know it will be soon. Thats why I got the 125.

12 - Pseudotropheus saulosi (Plan on having 2M/6F in the 55gal once they show the colors and I know who's who. Then the rest will go in the 125 or to a freinds tank!)

5 - Metriaclima Callainos (Blue Cobalt Zebra) 2M/3F

4 - Labidochromis Caeruleus (These can go in the 125 or I have a community tank with guppys, if they would be compatible?)

3 - Metriaclima estherae (Red Zebra) 3F

1 - Metriaclima emmiltos (Red Top Zebra) 1M

6 - Synodontis petricola

6 - Botia striata (Zebra Loach)

Ok any suggestions on which fish should stay in the 55 or go to the 125? And any suggestions on what else to put in the 125? I have always wanted to get Clown Loaches if I got that size tank, but we have VERY VERY hard water here, and it sounds like they won't do well in that. :'(

Thanks again!

Attached Files:

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

tank does look great!!!!!! so another pat on your back ;D
    if you move any of the africans to the bigger tank though, it can only be another african species setup :( ...rts as well as guppies and loaches, require different water perimeters, foods, etc...africans are a species only type of fish..which means only other africans ..what about moving your entire colonies of africans to the 125 and do something else in the 55g?

3. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Unless your breeding I wouldn't be too worried about the Zebras not all being the precise same variant. Your male Red Top should be happy enough with the three female Reds. I'm not sure where you should put the Yellow Labs. The Zebras are really a bit too aggressive for them & the Saulosi females look too much like them. Probalby best to put them in the 125gal. DO NOT put them with the Guppies!! The Synodontis can go where ever suits you. The loaches probably arn't going to survive too well with rift lake cichlids.

As for some large fish to go in the 125gal, depending on what else you stock it with I'm a big fan of Malawi Eye Biters (Dimidiochromis Compressiceps), which are surprisingly peacefull until they see something that resembles live food. I also really like Frontosa (Cyphotilapia Frontosa), Elaphant Nose Cichlid (Nimbochromis Linni), & Compressed Cichlids (Altolamprologus Compressiceps). Note that some A. Compressiceps can get up to 15" although they do generally stay much much smaller.

4. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

Africans are awesome fish. I'm down with moving the Africans into the bigger tank and do a planted on the 55 with tons of schooling fish. If you ever want some Acei, Red OB Zebras or Red zebras I can sent ya some. BB has some of mine. I'm expanding now so the only thing I have is Reds and few Acei's.

5. OP
    OP
    e

Ok, as much as I would like to keep the cichlids in the 55, lets say I put them in the 125.

Would any of those fish get along well with the cichlids?

Would I just like maybe put a little bit of new sand in the 125 to get it to cycle, and then move the sand & rocks from the 55 over to it, the same time as the fish? Does that make sense? Seeing how the footprint is real close to the same, could I just cycle it with like another 20# bag of the Eco-Complete and then once I take the sand out of the 55 I should have plenty?

As far as the loaches go, I did alot of asking around with people that have loaches. I had a few people tell me that the Zebra & Clown loaches both can be in cichlid tanks. And I can say, I have had these little guys in a 20 gallon community tank for almost a year now, and I have never seen them act happier! They swim all over the tank, where they used to just hide in a rock all the time. And they now CLICK! I have been so bummed because everyone says how thier loaches click when they are playing and eating, and mine never did, until they were in the cichlid tank for about 3 days.

6. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

theres MANY different cichlids :) but, africans are a type of cichlid that only do well with other africans....I can tell you they will kill your loaches..they just dont play nice with community fish or some cichlids...and they require a different ph and diet :( as far as cycling and such, you can just move filter/sand to your 125 until you decide what you want to do with the 55g..

7. navyscuba

The only fish that are usually ok with African Cichlids are plecos and some catfish species. No small fish community fish can get along with them. The africans will chase it until they have it for dinner.

8. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Loaches and African cichlids have completely different needs.
    Here is an article that tells why you shouldn't keep loaches with African cichlids :)

Carol

9. OP
    OP
    e

Ok, well that was an interesting article. And I will plan on putting them back in the community tank when I move all the fish. (Have to wait til then because have you ever tried to catch a Loach when you have that many rocks in the tank? LOL) Or maybe something in the 55 with them would most likely be best, or heck why not another tank, I can start charging guests admisssion to my house to see the fish! LOL

10. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Yep I have chased loaches until I was exhausted and think they were laughing at me the whole time :) So I totally understand :)
    Carol

11. OP
    OP
    e

Ok, so lets say I put all the fish (except the loaches) into the 125. Couple more questions.

A) Currently I am using 2 - Aquaclear 70 OTB filters & 2 - 40 Gallon + Sponge filters. (Would this be suffice for the 125 or do I have to get a canister?)

B)What can I put with these? I understand that it should stick with African Cichlids only. But is there something, even a cichlid that is larger that I can put in with these fish? I just would love some big fish if I have a big tank, but I don't want anything that will harm the fish I have. I looked up the fish that Nutter suggested but it looks as though they would not work well at all WITH the cichlids.

12. Nutter

The fish I listed are rift lake cichlids & they will work fine with your mbuna. The mbuna will leave them alone & the mbuna are too big for them to bother chasing around. Besides, I've done it myself. When it comes to rift lake cichlids either pick one of the fish that I recommended or stick to just mbuna species.

13. OP
    OP
    e

Well all I was saying Nutter, is that on all the info I seen (except for the Frontosa) is that they prey on cichlids or their fry. The one I thought seemed the coolest was the Dimidiochromis Compressiceps. But that one specifically says they prey on Pseudotropheus. And those are the majority I have right now.

What about other cichlid species? I know I can't mix SA or CA cichlids but what about other types (ie. peacocks & Haps) or ones from Lake Tanganyika? I'm pretty sure I read you can't but thought I would ask.

14. navyscuba

I have Haps on my 100 gal tank. I got a Venutus and I had a Livingstonni. They are great.

15. Nutter

All cichlids will prey on fry. No exceptions to that. The Eye-Biter would be fine so long as you don't have fish under 4" with it when it's fully grown. Also helps if you add live feeder fish for it every few days. Guppies work well. My Eye-Biter never bothered my Tropheus Bemba's ever. It just sat still up at the surface until it saw something it wanted to eat, then whack, it grabbed the food & went back to sitting up at the surface.

If you don't want something quite as aggressive then going with the Haps is probably a better option for you. Haps are usually pretty peacefull though compared to most Mbuna. I wouldn't be surprised if Tropheus got stuck right into it. Tropheus are about as aggressive as rift lake cichlids get IME.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice