Is this Water Wisteria?

Fishfriendof315

Attachments

• 0828211815.jpg
    0828211815.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 22

JavaMossMan

Looks like you have lace leaf water sprite not wisteria.

Fishfriendof315

Looks like you have lace leaf water sprite not wisteria.
Just going by what my LFS sold me, but seeing you mentioned it... You know of anything off hand that is between both? Yeah i went ahead and googled both. mine actually look like a cross between both. Wanna at least get correct info to who im sending what i had too

Phormist

Just going by what my LFS sold me, but seeing you mentioned it... You know of anything off hand that is between both? Yeah i went ahead and googled both. mine actually look like a cross between both. Wanna at least get correct info to who im sending what i had too
Now that I am looking at it, it does look more lace leaf'ish. Typically wisteria has broader leaves but totally easy to misname it from a LFS stand point hahaha

JavaMossMan

I have lace leaf water sprite in my tanks. Its commonly mistaken with wisteria. Wisteria is a stem plant whereas water sprite is a fern and grows like an amazon sword/crypt where the stems keep coming from the middle. To make it short wisteria is one stem that keeps on growing and you can cut it and replant it. For water sprite you can't cut the stems and replant it but it will grow new plants from the stem and the old stem will die (like java fern).

Phormist

I have lace leaf water sprite in my tanks. Its commonly mistaken with wisteria. Wisteria is a stem plant whereas water sprite is a fern and grows like an amazon sword/crypt where the stems keep coming from the middle. To make it short wisteria is one stem that keeps on growing and you can cut it and replant it. For water sprite you can't cut the stems and replant it but it will grow new plants from the stem and the old stem will die.
So he was able to give me a small cutting and haven't gotten it yet in the mail, but what's the best way of propagating it after I get it (the lace leaf water sprite)??

JavaMossMan

Its similar to java fern. The old stems will die and produce baby plantlets on the tips. What I do to make a nice effect is cut the old stems and float them. Looks very nice. You will have a ton of plants in no time as this plant grows 1-3 stems per week depending on your lights/tank. Each stem will produce one or more plants. I had one stem that had 5-6 plantlets growing on it at once. Do the math. It will take over your tank.

Its tougher and easier to grow than wisteria IMO. I had wisteria and was unable to grow it but water sprite survived everything.

Phormist

Its similar to java fern. The old stems will die and produce baby plantlets on the tips. What I do to make a nice effect is cut the old stems and float them. Looks very nice. You will have a ton of plants in no time as this plant grows 1-3 stems per week depending on your lights/tank. Each stem will produce one or more plants. I had one stem that had 5-6 plantlets growing on it at once. Do the math. It will take over your tank.

Its tougher and easier to grow than wisteria IMO. I had wisteria and was unable to grow it but water sprite survived everything.
oh very nice! I might put it in my 29 Gallon Angelfish pair tank as they're laying eggs and I am sure they'd like the extra coverage :) Then as it grows I'll chop some off and throw it in the guppy tank hahaha

JavaMossMan

oh very nice! I might put it in my 29 Gallon Angelfish pair tank as they're laying eggs and I am sure they'd like the extra coverage :) Then as it grows I'll chop some off and throw it in the guppy tank hahaha
You can plant it as in the above picture or float it. Grows better floating and as it gets bigger it will sink down and the exposed roots will be excellent for fry as a food source (micro organisms) and hiding spots. Or you can do both. Best to float it in the beginning as it will have access to CO2 and will grow quicker allowing you to propagate faster.

Phormist

You can plant it as in the above picture or float it. Grows better floating and as it gets bigger it will sink down and the exposed roots will be excellent for fry as a food source (micro organisms) and hiding spots. Or you can do both. Best to float it in the beginning as it will have access to CO2 and will grow quicker allowing you to propagate faster.
Oh! Thank you very much! :D
Have any tips on growing frogbit, too?? ;)

JavaMossMan

I have had frogbit for about a year. It slowly died until I was left with one and recently it exploded in growth after killing cyanobacteria in a 10 gallon. I had to purchase a air pump as part of my treatment for dealing with cyanobacteria. I think the air pump pushing out all the bubbles may have helped the frogbit. I have some in a 20 gallon not doing well and I want to add an airpump to see if it will also help. But other than that I've had difficulty with frogbit for the most part.

Phormist

I have had frogbit for about a year. It slowly died until I was left with one and recently it exploded in growth after killing cyanobacteria in a 10 gallon. I had to purchase a air pump as part of my treatment for dealing with cyanobacteria. I think the air pump pushing out all the bubbles may have helped the frogbit. I have some in a 20 gallon not doing well and I want to add an airpump to see if it will also help. But other than that I've had difficulty with frogbit for the most part.
Ah I see, wh ydo you think the air bubbles help?? Better CO2 distribution to the frogbit maybe????

JavaMossMan

Frogbit doesn't need CO2 as it its leaves are in contact with the air. I think it promotes circulation and also I have a layer of duckweed and broad leaf water sprite in between the frogbit and surface agitation caused by the air bubbles. It pushes all the floating plants into one side of the tank and prevents them from moving around the tank. I've read that frogbit does not like to be moved. So this may be why. But I've also noticed better general growth in my tank for all my plants (submersed and floating) after adding the air pump. You want to test it out on your tank and give feedback? :D

I'm gonna set up a 5.5 gallon in a month or so and see how frogbit does without an air pump and then add an air pump after if it is not doing well as a test.

Phormist

Frogbit doesn't need CO2 as it its leaves are in contact with the air. I think it promotes circulation and also I have a layer of duckweed and broad leaf water sprite in between the frogbit and surface agitation caused by the air bubbles. It pushes all the floating plants into one side of the tank and prevents them from moving around the tank. I've read that frogbit does not like to be moved. So this may be why. But I've also noticed better general growth in my tank for all my plants (submersed and floating) after adding the air pump. You want to test it out on your tank and give feedback? :D

I'm gonna set up a 5.5 gallon in a month or so and see how frogbit does without an air pump and then add an air pump after if it is not doing well as a test.
I might try to experiment with that! I just put some crypt's and amazon sword, as well as some anubias from a tank with no air stone and in my 29 angelfish breeding tank so ill add an airstone for them and see how it effects all the plants! ;D I even have some floating pothos on the sides of this tank too

JavaMossMan

I have crypts in my 10 gallon and also in 20 gallon. The 10 gallon tank with the airstone has much larger crypts and is the tank that is growing the frogbit well. In the 20 gallon without a airstone the crypts remained small and frogbit is dying. Other floating plants are doing well also in the 10 gallon.

Phormist

I have crypts in my 10 gallon and also in 20 gallon. The 10 gallon tank with the airstone has much larger crypts and is the tank that is growing the frogbit well. In the 20 gallon without a airstone the crypts remained small and frogbit is dying. Other floating plants are doing well also in the 10 gallon.
Oh very interesting. if I remember right my crypts and other plants did well when I had an airstone in with the 40 gallon before I moved. Might need to look into more air stones hahaha

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ProudPapa
  • Question
Replies
Views
IDKwhattodo
  • Question
Replies
Views
pufferpresence20