Advertising

1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

Is This Water Conditioner Safe For My Fish

1. B

Bee03 New Member Member

I have one betta fish in a 2.5g fish bowl. I've had him for five weeks now but I just found out that it is important to condition the water since I use tap water. My fish stopped moving for awhile after my last water change, but he's completely normal now. He even built a new bubble nest.

I'm not sure how much chlorine is in my water, and if chloramine even exists there because he seems completely happy and healthy. My dad got this water conditioner awhile ago, and I'm not sure if it's safe to use or not. Does it also protect against chloramine and other deadly metals or just chlorine? Also, if I were to change the water, should I add the recommended amount for 2.5g or just for the amount of water I am going to replace it with? Thanks so much for your help in advance. It really means a lot!

Attached Files:

2. C

Cory & the Catz Valued Member Member

Never used it but it looks fine, most will ask you to dose for entire tanks volume but i would read over the directions and pay good attention to what it says and hope to find the answer on there.

3. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

It is specifically a chlorine remover. In most places, that is fine. However, if the water treatment where you are uses chloramines, it appears that product would be a bad idea. You really have to find out what's in there - it matters.
    When I moved here, I looked up my town's water treatment plant on the town website, phoned and asked. It was as easy as that. They were very obliging.

4. OP
    OP
    B

Bee03 New Member Member

Okay, so I asked them if the tap water in my area contained chloramine and whether it's safe to use in fish tanks, and this is what they said:
    "We provide our customers with piped-in water supply that meets the Philippine National Standards for Drinking Water of the Department of Health. This means our water is safe and fit for drinking, bathing, cooking and other household activities. Chlorine is only added into the product water for further disinfection before storage in the chambers that serve as reservoirs. The water is finally distributed via network facilities, mainly pipelines, to the customers. Thank you."

So, no chloramine, right? Just want to make sure :)

Advertising