Viriam Karo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
2020-07-08 15.11.06.jpg

Hi all,

(I know, my algae is gross :yuck:)

So a few days ago I noticed that my betta's head was reddish/yellow, which it had previously never been. It doesn't look powdery or anything, and not quite like other pictures of velvet I've found online, so I was wondering if this was velvet or something else or maybe not even a disease. She is still very lively, very excited to flutter up and say hi when I walk by, interested in eating and nipping at my fingers, but the discoloration (?) has spread a bit, possibly onto her back?

Tank parameters:
size: 5 gal (Fluval spec V)
occupants: betta (female), nerite snail. Betta is young, I got her from the store in early March.
temp: 80F
pH: somewhere between 7.8 and 8.0 (and hard judging by the deposits on the sink aerator)
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: between 0 and 5
water change schedule: weekly, about 40%. Includes siphoning up muck that settles into the sand. Monthly swishes of sponge filter medium in old water to clean out gunk.
lights: usually a Finnex programmable LED light that has about 8 hours of daylight with reddish sunrise/sunset and twilight phase, lights are fully off for ~8 hours. Currently the lights are off because I've been battling a green hair algae problem (as visible in the picture), but not in full blackout. I noticed the color change in the betta before turning the lights off.

(All tests conducted with liquid API test kit, including shaking, rattling, and rolling the nitrate test bottles. I have a philodendron hanging its roots into the water so 0 nitrate is not an impossibility given the size of the tank and its occupants. Tank has been cycled for years.)

Thanks in advance!

OP
Viriam Karo

Viriam Karo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Viriam Karo said:
No, she is swimming around like normal and not flashing at all. That does kind of look like my betta's head...
Unfortunately I never found out what the brown spot on my betta was. Do you maybe have a closer or clearer picture of the one on your betta’s head?
I was treating my betta for fin rot when the brown spot appeared and I guess daily water changes helped heal the brown spot as well? You could also maybe try adding aquarium salt to the tank (if you can).
Also, you could try using a toothbrush to remove the algae :)

OP
Viriam Karo

Viriam Karo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
julifhy said:
Unfortunately I never found out what the brown spot on my betta was. Do you maybe have a closer or clearer picture of the one on your betta’s head?
I was treating my betta for fin rot when the brown spot appeared and I guess daily water changes helped heal the brown spot as well? You could also maybe try adding aquarium salt to the tank (if you can).
Also, you could try using a toothbrush to remove the algae :)
Potentially this picture, but she is ... a lively little thing and does not like posing for pictures lol

2020-07-08 17.27.07.jpg

Nothing is fuzzy-looking, growth-looking, or peeling off. Just different colors.

(The algae is actually on the plants and stuff since it's hair algae so I'm just waiting for it to die and then I'll vacuum it all out)

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Viriam Karo said:
Potentially this picture, but she is ... a lively little thing and does not like posing for pictures lol

2020-07-08 17.27.07.jpg

Nothing is fuzzy-looking, growth-looking, or peeling off. Just different colors.

(The algae is actually on the plants and stuff since it's hair algae so I'm just waiting for it to die and then I'll vacuum it all out)
My betta doesn’t really like posing for pictures either lol.
The brown spot on my betta looked kind of like a growth. Did you happen to add anything new to the tank?

OP
Viriam Karo

Viriam Karo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
julifhy said:
My betta doesn’t really like posing for pictures either lol.
The brown spot on my betta looked kind of like a growth. Did you happen to add anything new to the tank?
Nope, it's been exactly the same since she got in (plus/minus algae, which has been an off and on problem for years).

OP
Viriam Karo

Viriam Karo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
inara_colors_oneweek.jpg

Bumping for other thoughts---my operating assumption is that she is marbling? Does this seem probable to other betta keepers? I feel like if she were sick, from something that was progressing this quickly, she would be dead by now or at the VERY least ACTING sick. Top left photo is from Wednesday, right from Thursday, bottom from today (Sunday). She is quite young and has been growing so it could be a prime time to be changing.

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Viriam Karo said:
inara_colors_oneweek.jpg

Bumping for other thoughts---my operating assumption is that she is marbling? Does this seem probable to other betta keepers? I feel like if she were sick, from something that was progressing this quickly, she would be dead by now or at the VERY least ACTING sick. Top left photo is from Wednesday, right from Thursday, bottom from today (Sunday). She is quite young and has been growing so it could be a prime time to be changing.
Sorry for not responding earlier!
From the pictures you posted, it does seem like she could be marbling. Especially in the bottom picture. How long have you had her for? Do you know how old she might be? If she’s still young, then my best guess would be marbling. I would of course still keep a close eye on her just in case :)

New Threads