Is This Velvet On My Betta?

Cherrybat

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forums. I have looked at many many velvet pictures and in some you can clearly see the small dots of the parasite, but others the fish just shines gold and it's hard for me to tell because this is also my first betta, and while I'm trying my hardest, I'm not very knowledgeable.

Every evening before going to bed I would shine the screen of my phone at the tank in a dark room to kinda peep on the fish, see what she was doing and I swear i never noticed her shining golden. She is either a metallic or a dragon scale, i'm not sure, so her scales are iridescent blue naturally. Today i have been shining a flashlight at her and she looks super golden, but only where her blue scales are. I can't tell if this is velvet or I just somehow never noticed her glowing golden under a light? My husband thinks i'm too paranoid with the fish and he convinced me not to go to the LFS today and just wait. I'd like some opinions please.

The pictures are 1) The current 55gallon tank 2) Picture of her on the day i got her 3) Picture of her today with normal lighting 4) Picture with the flash on 5) Picture with flash on, the gold scales seem to only show where she has the blue scales

Some details about the fish and the tank:

I have had her for about a month and she went through a bit of a roller coaster with me. I started a fishless cycle and it crashed or i did something wrong. Then my husband and the LFS convinced me that fishless cycling is too hard for a noob so something like a zebra danio would be better, but he also said a betta could survive a cycle. I got the betta, she started in a 15gal column tank, she was there for about 2 weeks, ammonia was always under .25 and nitrites around .1 and nitrates around 5. She seemed completely fine and I closely monitored the water and dosed with Prime and Stability as needed.

Long story short, she is now in a 55gal with 10 zebra danios. She has been there for maybe 2 weeks, the danios have been there for about 4 days. I have a bunch of stem plants and a big ol Hornwort in there. The tank had a Fluval C4 filter, and yesterday i upgraded to a fluval 306 canister filter and put all the old media in there. Today the water read 0ppm ammonia, around 0.1ppm nitrite and like 3ppm nitrate.

I haven't really seen her rubbing on anything aside from a plant that she passes by when she's glass surfing, which seems accidental. Ever since i got her she has been very active, she glass surfs all 4 sides of the tank, sometimes she stops and stares at the plants or the rocks/driftwood, if the danios get too close she spooks them off but otherwise everyone gets along and the danios don't bother her.

I tend to humanize the fish too much, my husband thinks she's fine. I always think she's unhappy which is how i ended up with a 55gallon tank for a single betta lol obviously i'll be adding more fish once the cycle is complete. And I know cycling with a fish is dangerous and may cause problems down the line, but it is what it is at this point.

Apologies for the giant wall of text, just wanted to provide as much info as i could. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My hubby doesn’t see the typical good of velvet. His description of her tail and fins bother me some. Could just be him but do you see any ragged edges that aren’t uniform? I’m hoping someone else is up now so they can look as well. Welcome to fishlore. Well do everything in our power to set you mind at ease or give you help. (My finbabies are human too).

Milliemae124

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a link to a website about identifying velvet. I can’t see anything but just to be sure I would check the link. Also as gypsy13 said, his fins do look a little ragged, do you know the water parameters of the tank?

Cherrybat

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies!

Gypsy13 said:
My hubby doesn’t see the typical good of velvet. His description of her tail and fins bother me some. Could just be him but do you see any ragged edges that aren’t uniform? I’m hoping someone else is up now so they can look as well. Welcome to fishlore. Well do everything in our power to set you mind at ease or give you help. (My finbabies are human too).
Thank you, that's good to hear, the main reason i thought this was velvet was the golden shine, it looked kinda like someone sprinkled her with tiny golden glitter, but only where her blue scales are and some on her head. But she's exhibiting no other symptoms, i just fed the fish and both the danios and the betta were all over the food. Everyone is swimming around and not rubbing or flashing. The only thing i noticed today is the danios are skimming the top of the water after i fed them, not sure if it's normal because usually they swim all over the tank, top and bottom. Betta is swimming everywhere.

Thank you, i did look at that website, and while she doesn't look as peppered in gold flakes as that fish in the picture, she looked golden under a flashlight so that's why i thought it was velvet. As i said above, no other symptoms.

I checked the water just now and weirdly ammonia, nitrite and nitrate all read if not zero then very close to all being zero. I didn't feed the fish yesterday and left the aquarium light off for most of the day, so maybe the plants consumed all the nitrate? As far as i can tell from the tests, the water is good. It doesn't smell chemically or too fishy, smells like a pond maybe.

And as for her fins, her tail fin has always looked like that so i thought that's just what her tail looks like. She was a bit of an oddball when i picked her out at the store, her blue scales don't cover her whole body, she looks a bit bald on the top of her head lol and i guess her fins look a bit ragged? In my original post the second picture is from the day i got her, her fins look to be the same today as they were a month ago. She has never been in water with ammonia or nitrite above .25 ppm. She has been through some changes with the fish tanks and now new tank mates, could she just be stressed? Is there anything i can do as a prophylactic for her fins?

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cherrybat said:
Thank you for the replies!

Thank you, that's good to hear, the main reason i thought this was velvet was the golden shine, it looked kinda like someone sprinkled her with tiny golden glitter, but only where her blue scales are and some on her head. But she's exhibiting no other symptoms, i just fed the fish and both the danios and the betta were all over the food. Everyone is swimming around and not rubbing or flashing. The only thing i noticed today is the danios are skimming the top of the water after i fed them, not sure if it's normal because usually they swim all over the tank, top and bottom. Betta is swimming everywhere.

Thank you, i did look at that website, and while she doesn't look as peppered in gold flakes as that fish in the picture, she looked golden under a flashlight so that's why i thought it was velvet. As i said above, no other symptoms.

I checked the water just now and weirdly ammonia, nitrite and nitrate all read if not zero then very close to all being zero. I didn't feed the fish yesterday and left the aquarium light off for most of the day, so maybe the plants consumed all the nitrate? As far as i can tell from the tests, the water is good. It doesn't smell chemically or too fishy, smells like a pond maybe.

And as for her fins, her tail fin has always looked like that so i thought that's just what her tail looks like. She was a bit of an oddball when i picked her out at the store, her blue scales don't cover her whole body, she looks a bit bald on the top of her head lol and i guess her fins look a bit ragged? In my original post the second picture is from the day i got her, her fins look to be the same today as they were a month ago. She has never been in water with ammonia or nitrite above .25 ppm. She has been through some changes with the fish tanks and now new tank mates, could she just be stressed? Is there anything i can do as a prophylactic for her fins?
Super clean warm water. Keep us posted ok?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom