Is This True?

BettaFishKeeper4302

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So i went to walmart when i bougjt my 29 gallon fish tank and i saw thwy had butterfly koi. The information thingy said they only get about 16 8nches in a fish tank but have the potenyial to grow big in ponds. Is this true? My science teacher has some in a 55 gallon. I dont wanna see any **** on "no, koi need a 1000 gallons"

BettaFishKeeper4302

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mike1995 said:
they get very large.
Ugh, they dont get as big as other koi and i was asking if this was true. I specifically said dont say this. I dont believe you.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well even if you based it on them only getting 16 inches, they would easily outgrow a 55 because 55’s are only 12 inches wide.

BettaFishKeeper4302

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
AquaticJ said:
Well even if you based it on them only getting 16 inches, they would easily outgrow a 55 because 55’s are only 12 inches wide.
Ok then i honestly do not onow what they are.they look like koi but babies. They dont get that big either. None of them are outgrowing. They are koi i know that. But like they stay small or something.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
BettaFishKeeper4302 said:
Ugh, they dont get as big as other koi and i was asking if this was true. I specifically said dont say this. I dont believe you.
Since you really don't want other opinions that what you already beleive I don't know what the point of this thread is.

BettaFishKeeper4302

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Lucy said:
Since you really don't want other opinions that what you already beleive I don't know what the point of this thread is.
I never said i did not want other opinions... They are koi but dont really grow. They are small verions of koi.

I never said i did not want other opinions... They are koi but dont really grow. They are small verions of koi.
I just need to figure this out. I thought the same thing everyone is right now. I even asked the teacher if it was overstocking and she said "no, they dont get as big as actual koi." She said they were smaller breeda or something.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well, considering that exact thing was quoted, you can't deny it. Also, if you want someone to verify false information, you'll want to talk to someone who genuinely believes a goldfish that can reach 18" can be kept in a bowl. As previously stated, no koi can be kept in a 55. You could do 4 fancy goldfish though.
There's lots of nice stocking options people can help you with here if you want

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
3 1/2 to 4 feet, give or take. Not a small fish. And evidentially , their fins grow their entire lives. Putting them in too small an environment would be cruel.

Pity. They are lovely fish.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
potential size is potential size. Weither they are in a pond, a tank or a lake they should all get to the same size. If not they will become stunted. Im not going into that its self explanatory.

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They are NOT small versions of koi. Stop shutting down everyone's posts. Butterfly koi grow practically the same size as other koi, and DO need a large water volume. There have been koi that have lived 200+ years, the thing is, they never live their full lifespan cramped in tanks. They become stunted, and their internal organs continue to grow in their body, causing organ failure and death.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
maggie thecat said:
3 1/2 to 4 feet, give or take. Not a small fish.
Also consider their fin span. Is that a thing, like wing span except fins? If not, it should be especially with this beauty.

BettaFishKeeper4302

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I know all of this guys i understand where you all are coming from because i came from the same place. They are koi and they small and apparantly "dont get as big as other koi" i kind of believe the teacher now because.they have ben small for so long. They look and act fine. Like minature koi.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I know all of this guys i understand where you all are coming from because i came from the same place. They are koi and they small and apparantly "dont get as big as other koi" i kind of believe the teacher now because.they have ben small for so long. They look and act fine. Like minature koi.
Okay then. No need for this discussion to go around in circles.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom