Is This True Amano Shrimp?

Beck
I bought 5 Amano shrimp and they reproduce in my freshwater tank which I am told is impossible. I'm posting pictures, then I will try try to post video to show behavior.
Rtessy can you identify what they are if not Amano? I purchased them as Amano...
Thanks to anyone who can help

Attachments

• IMG_1025.jpg
    IMG_1025.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_1030.jpg
    IMG_1030.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_1041.jpg
    IMG_1041.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_1044.jpg
    IMG_1044.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 186
stella1979
Looks just like mine does.

Beck
Have yours reproduced?

SixThreeOh
They reproduce in freshwater, the babies just can't survive.

Rtessy
How large are they? It greatly resembles an amano, but something about the color and pattern throws me off a bit... still probably an amano.
If you don't mind answering a few questions
How hard is your water? (gH, kH and TDS values if you have them)
Do the babies ever fully grow up?
Do the babies lack the classic shrimp "fan" tail?
Do you ever see the zoeas? (They're attracted to light)

goldface
It's an Amano. The babies (larvae) can actually survive up to a week in freshwater. They hatch and then migrate to saltwater, which can take days. So it isn't an instantaneous death sentence. It makes sense. Otherwise, why would they be capable of breeding in freshwater to start with.

Rtessy
I'd heard only four days, cool that they can live up to a week. But if OP is getting some past the larval stage, well, that's quite the breakthrough!

goldface
I'd heard only four days, cool that they can live up to a week. But if OP is getting some past the larval stage, well, that's quite the breakthrough!
Mine lived quite a bit before dying. They lasted longer than 4 days. During that time, I debated on whether or not to set up a small saltwater tank to raise them in. But I been so busy, I decided against it.

Beck
How large are they? It greatly resembles an amano, but something about the color and pattern throws me off a bit... still probably an amano.
If you don't mind answering a few questions
How hard is your water? (gH, kH and TDS values if you have them)
Do the babies ever fully grow up?
Do the babies lack the classic shrimp "fan" tail?
Do you ever see the zoeas? (They're attracted to light)

They get quite large. The Big Mama one is darn near 2" long.
My kh and gh are fairly low. 2-4 I don't have test for tds. The babies do grow up, not many though. I've never seen tiny tiny ones like with my RCS. By the time I see them, theybare 1/2 - 3/4" Very few survivors. I started with 5 and ended up with about a dozen that I've split into 3 community tanks and then population is staying stable now. My angelfish have grown and only a few of the biggest surviving in there. Holding stable in community school with small fish. Havent had new ones lately though
As far as color, they are fairly translucent, taking on the color of the background. Greenish on the plants. Black on the substrate, brown on the coco hut and driftwood

goldface
Are there pics? How long have you had them? Maybe there are subspecies that look very similar that can breed and grow in freshwater. But those pics look exactly like my two female Amanos.

Beck
Are there pics? How long have you had them? Maybe there are subspecies that look very similar that can breed and grow in freshwater. But those pics look exactly like my two female Amanos.
I got my them in January and had them in a 20 gallon community. That's when they were breeding pretty well. Now my whole setup is different. More tanks, most of the 20 gal inhabited went to 75 gall as angels and Cory cats were getting big

Beck
Falling asleep, but anxious to get everyone's opinions. Thanks everyone for the input. Xoxo zzzzzzz

goldface
I got my them in January and had them in a 20 gallon community. That's when they were breeding pretty well. Now my whole setup is different. More tanks, most of the 20 gal inhabited went to 75 gall as angels and Cory cats were getting big
I read this a while back, but still recall where to find a link fairly quick:

I was serious when I suggested other similar-looking species.

Rtessy
It's probably a different species, just judging by the brown coloring on the top and the pattern of stripes/dots is different than most amanos... Very cool shrimp though, honestly my first thought was "weird colored bamboo shrimp" lol, way off on that.

goldface
Looks exactly like mine. Really. The first two pics are my females. The last one is my male. Same brownish coloring as the OP's.

Amano Shrimp.jpg
IMG_0549.JPG
Male Amano.JPG

Rtessy
Lol, what if yours aren't true amanos either?

-Mak-
I think everyone's are amanos. OP, have you ever added aquarium salt or marine salt to your tank? Could you possibly have some brown cherry shrimp mixed in there?

Rtessy
Good thought, just wanted to say, I've read that even aquarium salt doesn't cut it because it lasts minerals and the parents can't tolerate the amount the zoeas need to survive... There is a same genus, similar species amano shrimp that can reproduce in freshwater. Does the rostrum seem a bit short to anyone? Because honestly, it doesn't really to me....

goldface
Lol, what if yours aren't true amanos either?
Oh, mine are defiitely Amanos. I’m just trying to keep an open mind

Beck
I read this a while back, but still recall where to find a link fairly quick:

I was serious when I suggested other similar-looking species.

Very interesting article. I believe mine were marketed as Japonico Amano but not sure. I believe I was using some aquarium salt in the tank where they were breeding, I don't remember why now; and I use a lot of driftwood, cholla, and Indian almond leaves. That was my first "real" tank after my 5 gallon Betta tank so I was trying different things that I read. It definitely looked brackish, although I have no idea what the salinity was/is.
I haven't seen an increase in population since I went from 1 20 gallon to the 20, a 10, a 75, and 2 more 5 gallons. I do try to keep the different shrimp species in separate tanks, but I just put 3 blue velvet in with The Amano that are in the 20 gallon
Oh, my ph runs high, it's 7-7.2 but they moult often. Every tank always has new mounts at least once a week. They're also very active except in the 75 where they're afraid of being eaten

Beck
It's probably a different species, just judging by the brown coloring on the top and the pattern of stripes/dots is different than most amanos... Very cool shrimp though, honestly my first thought was "weird colored bamboo shrimp" lol, way off on that.

I got them from Live Aquaria I believe that's a Fosters and Smith company
And I believe now that they were marketed as Amano Japonico

Beck
I think everyone's are amanos. OP, have you ever added aquarium salt or marine salt to your tank? Could you possibly have some brown cherry shrimp mixed in there?

I did put aquarium salt in there at one time for some reason that escapes me now lol. But I keep my cherry shrimp in separate tanks

-Mak-
I did put aquarium salt in there at one time for some reason that escapes me now lol. But I keep my cherry shrimp in separate tanks
I think I watched a video or read somewhere where one person added some salt, and because of their circulation being a certain way there was a pocket of salt that stayed there, and their amanos were able to produce a few offspring.

Beck
I think I watched a video or read somewhere where one person added some salt, and because of their circulation being a certain way there was a pocket of salt that stayed there, and their amanos were able to produce a few offspring.

Awesome! That must be what happened. I see the big mommas laying eggs but no more increases in population.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
goldface
Replies
Views
TexasDomer
Replies
Views
tjander
Replies
Views