is this too overstocked????

1. pando Initiate Member

i have a 30 gallon setup its about 62x38.5x45cm 30 gallon tank with plenty of rocks and ornaments on the bottom with cichlids 2 x convicts 2 x re forest jewel 2 x auratus 2 x acei 2 x soulosi 3 x bala sharks 1 x blue guarami (adult full grown) 1 x angel........things seem ok all the species seem to be keeping to themselves they already have a heirachy thing going so tend to stay away from fish that are higher than them on the pecking order its like the bala sharks and clown loaches are exempt from attack and are allowed into they territory's but if the cichlids do they are immediantly chased away is this because they dont see the sharks and loaches as a threat ? (im only fairly new to owning an aquarium) as the fish are still only young im going to upgrade the tank when they're a little bigger

2. pando Initiate Member

the picture on my avatar should give u a clearer idea of what my tank looks like

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

That seems a little overstocked to me. How many clown loaches do you have? (you didn't list them)
    The requirements of your fish are also a little more varied than is possible to manage in one aquarium . The Melanchromis auratus, Pseudotropheus acei, Psedotropheus saulosi and Hemichromis bimaculatus(forest jewel) are all from africa and require temps of 78 -82F and a pH of 8.0.
    Cichlasoma nigrofasciatum (Convict) is from South America and requires temps of 70-90F and a pH of 6.0 -7.0
    All are very aggressive especially the convict at breeding time. The Convicts can breed at two inches.
    The angel is also a cichlid and can be very aggressive at breeding time.
    The Clown loaches are totally unaggressive and will get huge.
    all that to say it's time to get another tank and seperate some of these gals and guys ;)
    When they get bigger isn't soon enough. Just my thoughts.
    Carol

4. pando Initiate Member

noone seems to be fighting......is it too small bc there will have to be lots of maintence? fighting? can the tank stay the way it is if there were regular gravel cleans and water changes??

5. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I would suggest that you sell your Bala's and Clown Loaches back to the LFS. Both of these fish average about 13 inches long (sometimes larger). They need at least a 70 gallon tank IMO. Just taking those fish back will alleviate alot of stress being put on to your tank as far as overcrowding goes, and then you can evaluate the other fish you have. But neither the Clown Loaches or Bala's will be able to thrive in a 30 gallon.

6. RoboDude Member Member

I agree. I LOVE Clown Loaches and Bala Sharks. They are both one of my favorite fish, and so I hate to tell you this, but your tank is way too overcrowded, and need to tack back your Clown Loaches and Bala Sharks.

7. beccaboo254 Initiate Member

It may not SEEM overcrowded to you, but think of it this way: If you had a normal sized backyard and you put 25 small, medium, and large sized dogs in it, they would probably have enough room to lie down and eat and technically stay alive, but they wouldn't truly be HAPPY b/c dogs like having room to run and play. Make sense? :)