Is this too much?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Videos' started by Ziabis, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Ziabis

ZiabisWell Known MemberMember

In this video, would this be too much current? I have my bubbler and circulation pump running.

I have been only using the circulation pump at night during sleep hours. But I like seeing all the
    flow...

2. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

Oh my word it's a whirl pool! lol (just teasing). It does look a bit strong, but as long as the fish are not being blown around the tank by the current then things should be fine.

You may want to reduce it just a bit. :)

Ken

3. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

The circulation pump has no control option, I guess I can turn the bubbler down.

4. Aquarist

What size tank? 30 gallon? and what is the gallons per hour (gph) for the circulation pump?

I would try and match what is recommended for the tank.

Ken

5. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

This Aqueon model is the ACP 500 flow rate 500 gph recommended for 20-40 G

6. tunastrack

tunastrackWell Known MemberMember

Im going to guess it is a tad fast. Considering your fish on the right hand side of the video look like they are swimming in fast motion...lol..Very pretty tank btw! I have the decoration you have on the left in my 60 gallon.

7. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Looks pretty turbulent. I saw a few fish get blown around - much too much IMO.

8. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

I turned it off. Would it be ok if I used it say for 5 hours during sleep time?

9. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

Very pretty tank btw! I have the decoration you have on the left in my 60 gallon.[/QUOTE]

Thank you.... Can we see (I) a pic of you 60 G?
    Ya I could not find any super nice REAL logs and the ones they did have was super expensive, and really that piece wasnt all the much at all and it doesn't look to bad...

10. blhall38New MemberMember

Both species are South American River Basin dwellers, so they are adapted to thrive in a current rich environment. I noticed in the video that a couple of phantoms were darting in and out of the flow at the far end of the tank with little or no difficulty. That is what I would base my settings on. If your fish venture in to the strongest part of the flow and get blown around, then yes, change your settings. You don't want to intentionally harm your fish. For the most part, your fish dwell in the lower portion of your tank, which is heavily planted and ornamented. This diminishes the current flow in the lower portion immensely and allows your fish to be able to swim freely. Another indication of overly strong current is that your fish will tend to school in the areas of your tank where the current isn't strong enough to whip them around uncontrollably. If you have no fish venturing in to the torrent portion of your tank (in your case upper right quadrant as seen on the video), then yes, drop your settings. Just remember, not all fish species enjoy the same environment. Always cater to the species you currently have. By the way, very nice setup!

11. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

Well I can't manage the flow. It's either ON or OFF. So do
    you recomend never using it or as I asked, using it only for a few hours during sleep hours? as above.

I could lower the pump down and turn the pump more upright so that is more toward the top of the tank water so that it agitates more then creates a current?

12. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

If I was going to use it, I wouldn't use it while the fish are sleeping.

I think the pump is way too powerful for the tank. I would look for something around 200 gph.

13. Aquarist

Good morning,

Here is a link to Koralia Nano pump with a lower GPH:(240)

Agreed, I would not use the pump you are currently using while the fish are trying to sleep.

Ken

14. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

Thank you all...

15. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

Gorgeous tank! But it looks like a very strong current, I'd fear Id get blown around in it ha ha :) It's great that you asked and now you have 10's of opinions instead of just one!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice