Is this too much light? And will I need CO2?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by klogue2, Dec 18, 2012.

1. klogue2

klogue2 Valued Member Member

I've decided what fixture I'd like to get :) It's the  .
    I've read several reviews on it and while it's not amazing according to the users, it's decent enough. And since I don't want to spend the big $$ in case plants don't turn out well with me, this seems like an affordable, decent solution.

The only thing I'd like to know is if the bulbs that come with it will give off too much light. I would prefer not to use CO2 just yet since I'm new to this, but perhaps I can try it if it's not too hard :) although from what I've read I can just use liquid CO2 and pour some in...

The two bulbs the fixture comes with are "2x 24W T5 6500K lamp" according to the website (aquatraders). So here are my two questions:

1) If I don't do CO2, would this be too much light (in which case I would need to supplement CO2)?
    2) If I decide to do CO2, would this amount of light and the correct dose of CO2 be too much for low, maybe low-medium light plants?

Thanks again for all your help everyone :)

2. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

This is your 29, correct?

3. OP
    OP
    klogue2

klogue2 Valued Member Member

Yes, it is :) sorry, I forgot to mention that!

4. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Its still a pretty good fixture but others bypass it. That will put you in the highlight category therefore CO2 supplementation and fertilizers will be required to keep plants healthy to outcompete algae. Some fast growing stem plants are important.

A way around it is to raise the light up about a foot if you have that option or run just one bulb. I think that fixture allows it but not sure.

Just to let you know is that the ballast supports T5HO bulbs only.

That fixture will just about let you grow anything. 6500K is the best for plant growth. You can grow low-light plants in moderate to highlight depending on what they are. Moderate light for sure. Floating plants can be used if need to shade the lower light plants.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/content/125-tips-successful-planted-aquarium.html

5. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Good posts above. You can definitely grow low light plants in a high light tank, they grow even better.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice