Is This Too Much For A 27g? Question 

ScareCrowe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You don't have to unplug your heater if you mount it the right way.(assuming the manufacturer says a horizontal application is OK) Just mount it sideways noticeably below the water line where you generally drain the tank to do your changes. I only unplug my heater if I'm doing a larger than 50% water change. I've left the filter plugged in too, again assuming your filter is rated to run with a lower water level(which mine is) I actually only started to unplug the filter because the water falling to the lower water level was washing the sand substrate away.

If your heater or the intake for your filter will be out of the water at any time during the change you definitely do need to unplug them.

Wickette

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the purpose of a drip loop is so part of the cord is lower than the outlet
(so if water gets on the cord it doesnt flow into the outlet)

I unplug my heater for 10min before a water change, if the water level goes bellow the "minimum water level" line on the heater when its heating, the heater will burn out.

Unplugging the heater for 10min wont make a noticeable difference in water temperature, but gives the heater coil enough time to cool off.

The filters motor should only be running if its wet, it should be turned off if the water level is too low during a water change for it to suck in water. Other than that its upto you weather to leave it running or not. Any filter can be off for a few hours with no ill effect to your cycle or fish.

RainBetta said:
..if you do decide to get a betta, I would advise against getting shrimp. The betta could try to go after the shrimp, and may choke. That has happened to 2 of my bettas
Sorry to usurp this thread. Is this true of juvenile shrimp or any shrimp? Is it super rare?
Adult Ghost/amano shrimp seem way too big for a betta to try to eat and fry would get picked off long before theyre big enough to be seen.

(I just moved ghost shrimp from quarantine to my betta tank, this post has me worried)

JoyBoy

Reaction score
ScareCrowe said:
Is the plug actually plugging in uop high as it shows in that picture or is it going into those lower outlets shown?

If it's going to an outlet higher than the tank (which it looks like it's currently in) a drip loop isn't necesary.

If it is going in the lower outlet all you need to do is make sure there isn't an entirely downhill slope of wire leading to the outlet. Easiest thing to do is pinch a piece of the wire into a U shape & put a zip tie around it. That way any water hits the downward part of the U & then would have to travel back up to get to your outlet.
It's going down to the outlets in the picture; I was holding the cable up with my hand to make it easier to see. I've done what you said with the cable tie, and taped it to the wall using some tape. I think it's a good call.

RainBetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wickette said:
Sorry to usurp this thread. Is this true of juvenile shrimp or any shrimp? Is it super rare?
Adult Ghost/amano shrimp seem way too big for a betta to try to eat and fry would get picked off long before theyre big enough to be seen.

(I just moved ghost shrimp from quarantine to my betta tank, this post has me worried)
I thought they were too big as well, but that won't stop a hungry betta necessarily. They are too big for a betta to eat, so in the case that they do, it is possible that they won't fully swallow the shrimp.

I would say it is rare, but I had a female and male male betta both choke and pass away while trying to eat an adult ghost shrimp. My friend had amanos in her sorority tank and watched as one of the girls tried to swallow one whole. She nearly choked, but my friend stuck the net in and the betta spit the shrimp out (the shrimp did not make it)

IMO it's just not worth putting the 2 together. The best thing to do when keeping larger shrimp and bettas together would be keeping the bottom of the tank heavily planted.

JoyBoy

Reaction score
I'm planning on changing the neon tetras to cardinal tetras. I saw some schools of both online, and I just think the cardinals have a sharper, more vibrant looking colour to them. I know they are a bit bigger than the neons though, so will my tank still be OK as far as stocking goes? If possible, I'd like to increase the size of the schools so I'd like to know if what I currently have planned is ''just right'', or whether there's still some room for more.

I'm planning on having a reasonably well planted aquarium as well (live plants), and I'm afraid they might take up some space if they grow too much. Thanks.

Gianess

Reaction score
JoyBoy said:
Hey guys, going to pick up my 105L tank on Wednesday and I was wondering whether this stock would be considered too much. Fortunately, I only have the reservation on the tank and I can cancel it at any time, so I can still upgrade if need be.

Right now, I'm thinking:

x6 Glowlight Tetras
x8 Neon Tetras
x6 Corydoras

I was also planning on adding in a few shrimp as well (RCS, ghosts or amano specifically) and maybe a female betta, but that's starting to look somewhat unreasonable for a 27G. Anyone have any thoughts?
I have more in a 20 gallon. I do weekly water changes of 25% and my filtration is good enough for a 40 gallon tank. My water perimeters are good and I've kept this set up for about 4 months now.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
JoyBoy said:
I'm planning on changing the neon tetras to cardinal tetras. I saw some schools of both online, and I just think the cardinals have a sharper, more vibrant looking colour to them. I know they are a bit bigger than the neons though, so will my tank still be OK as far as stocking goes? If possible, I'd like to increase the size of the schools so I'd like to know if what I currently have planned is ''just right'', or whether there's still some room for more.

I'm planning on having a reasonably well planted aquarium as well (live plants), and I'm afraid they might take up some space if they grow too much. Thanks.
Go for it

JoyBoy

Reaction score
Gianess said:
I have more in a 20 gallon. I do weekly water changes of 25% and my filtration is good enough for a 40 gallon tank. My water perimeters are good and I've kept this set up for about 4 months now.
What do you have in your 20 gallon right now?

Heathen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Wickette said:
the purpose of a drip loop is so part of the cord is lower than the outlet
(so if water gets on the cord it doesnt flow into the outlet)

I unplug my heater for 10min before a water change, if the water level goes bellow the "minimum water level" line on the heater when its heating, the heater will burn out.

Unplugging the heater for 10min wont make a noticeable difference in water temperature, but gives the heater coil enough time to cool off.

The filters motor should only be running if its wet, it should be turned off if the water level is too low during a water change for it to suck in water. Other than that its upto you weather to leave it running or not. Any filter can be off for a few hours with no ill effect to your cycle or fish.

I've also seen ghost/whisker shrimp go after smaller fish, like betta, and nip on their fins.

As far as filtration goes, I would not go with Tetra brand. Their equipment is rather poorly made just as their food is. I also suggest making your own media bags if you can, too.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ghost and whisker shrimp are completely different though, ghost shrimp are not aggressive at all while whisker shrimp are. Whisker shrimp are frequently sold as ghost which causes the confusion

Gianess

Reaction score
JoyBoy said:
What do you have in your 20 gallon right now?
As of todya (5/25/19), 8 guppies, 9 neon tetras, and 4 julii cory. I had 10 neon tetras but one went missing.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom