Is this too much ammonia?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by klogue2, Jan 5, 2013.

1. klogue2Valued MemberMember

So today I dosed my first batch of ammonia into the fishless cycling 55g. I first tested on a 5 gallon bucket and ended up with the conclusion 2 cap fulls per 5 gallons = 4ppm. This seemed odd at the time but I didn't think about it until now. I went ahead and dosed about 22 cap fulls (give or take a little uneven caps) in my 55 and now I'm noticing this was a bad idea. My ppm is not even at 8 at minimum, it's off the color chart with a teal-blue color.

Should I do a water change? Or will this be ok for the BB? I figure it will just take longer for the ammonia to drop since it's so much...

BTW, I did try using the 2 drops per gallon as a start but that only gave my 10 drops per 5 gallons = 0.50ppm ammonia. I'm not sure why. So I kind of went overboard and started doing it with a single cap full, which gave my 2ppm. I doubled it to give me 4ppm.

2. Quinn_Lamb98Well Known MemberMember

do a 50% water change to bring the ammonia to about-5 ppm. it is not a huge deal but like you said- it will take much longer for all the ammonia to get converted.

3. klogue2Valued MemberMember

Ok, before I do that I'm also wondering about another thing about this. I read this thread to figure out how to use the ammonia, and it says if you dose large amounts of ammonia, you get a slower growing but bigger resulting BB colony. Since I'm doing Mbuna, I purposely have to overstock (or come close to it). And I hope to add all the fish at once to prevent much aggression.

If it's true that I'll get more BB from my accidental overdose, maybe I'll just leave it be? :) It may benefit me in the long run.

Edit: Oh, one more question about ammonia while I've started this thread, after the tank is done cycling but before I add fish, do I keep adding ammonia until I add fish, so the BB don't die?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  4. Quinn_Lamb98Well Known MemberMember

can't help you there. my limit of knowledge on bb colonies is they develop to remove ammonia/nitrite from the water, lol.

5. klogue2Valued MemberMember

No problem :) Maybe someone else will have the answer.

6. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  7. klogue2Valued MemberMember

Oh I see, thank you for that information! I'll do a water change then.

8. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

PS we have matching avatars ;) Good luck with your cycle! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice