Is this too much ammonia?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by klogue2, Jan 5, 2013.

1. klogue2Valued MemberMember

So today I dosed my first batch of ammonia into the fishless cycling 55g. I first tested on a 5 gallon bucket and ended up with the conclusion 2 cap fulls per 5 gallons = 4ppm. This seemed odd at the time but I didn't think about it until now. I went ahead and dosed about 22 cap fulls (give or take a little uneven caps) in my 55 and now I'm noticing this was a bad idea. My ppm is not even at 8 at minimum, it's off the color chart with a teal-blue color.

Should I do a water change? Or will this be ok for the BB? I figure it will just take longer for the ammonia to drop since it's so much...

BTW, I did try using the 2 drops per gallon as a start but that only gave my 10 drops per 5 gallons = 0.50ppm ammonia. I'm not sure why. So I kind of went overboard and started doing it with a single cap full, which gave my 2ppm. I doubled it to give me 4ppm.

2. Quinn_Lamb98Well Known MemberMember

do a 50% water change to bring the ammonia to about-5 ppm. it is not a huge deal but like you said- it will take much longer for all the ammonia to get converted.

3. klogue2Valued MemberMember

Ok, before I do that I'm also wondering about another thing about this. I read this thread to figure out how to use the ammonia, and it says if you dose large amounts of ammonia, you get a slower growing but bigger resulting BB colony. Since I'm doing Mbuna, I purposely have to overstock (or come close to it). And I hope to add all the fish at once to prevent much aggression.

If it's true that I'll get more BB from my accidental overdose, maybe I'll just leave it be? :) It may benefit me in the long run.

Edit: Oh, one more question about ammonia while I've started this thread, after the tank is done cycling but before I add fish, do I keep adding ammonia until I add fish, so the BB don't die?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  4. Quinn_Lamb98Well Known MemberMember

can't help you there. my limit of knowledge on bb colonies is they develop to remove ammonia/nitrite from the water, lol.

5. klogue2Valued MemberMember

No problem :) Maybe someone else will have the answer.

6. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  7. klogue2Valued MemberMember

Oh I see, thank you for that information! I'll do a water change then.

8. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

PS we have matching avatars ;) Good luck with your cycle! :)