Is This Too Much Algae?

Komarr

Active Member
Member
Messages
72
Reaction score
13
Should I be concerned about this amount of algae?
Tank is a 55gal. Been running for about 5 months. Has 2 AquaClear 50 filters. The main algae growth is in the flow from the filters. I do weekly 20% water change and add Seachem Flourish once per week. Ph is 8.4, straight from the tap. I don't mess with it. At my weekly changes Ammonia and Nitrites are 0, Nitrates run from 10-20 ppm.

Stock is: 10 Neon Tetra, 6 Cherry Barbs, 2 BN Plecos (last added, maybe 2 weeks ago. They're less then an inch each), 1 Dwarf Gourami, 6 Amano Shrimp, 2 Bamboo shrimp, 8-10 Cherry Shrimp (not sure, we had babies!), 2 blue and 2 yellow shrimp (sorry, forget exact names, but Cherry size).

Plants: Anarchis, Java Fern, Java Moss, 3 Straight Val, 2 Dwarf Anubias.

Been noticing the algae for about a month. 2 weeks ago I "combed" some of it out with tongs, but it's returning. Am I over-reacting or should I make some changes? I figure I have some stocking room if there is any critters that can help with this?
Thanks
 

Attachments

Markinglis

New Member
Member
Messages
37
Reaction score
11
It doesn’t look too excessive from the pictures. If you are worried otocinclus are small catfish that eat lots and lots of algae. Also things like lots of plants and increased water flow can help get rid of algae. If none of this is possible for you to do or doesn’t work pet stores or your local fish store will sell chemicals to add to the water that gets rid of algae.
 

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,030
Reaction score
2,095
Experience
2 years
Markinglis said:
It doesn’t look too excessive from the pictures. If you are worried otocinclus are small catfish that eat lots and lots of algae. Also things like lots of plants and increased water flow can help get rid of algae. If none of this is possible for you to do or doesn’t work pet stores or your local fish store will sell chemicals to add to the water that gets rid of algae.
The chemicals for algae are not shrimp or invert safe unfortunately.
 

Markinglis

New Member
Member
Messages
37
Reaction score
11
Oh yeah I totally forgot about that. I once I stupidly put algae ridding chemicals in my tank and it killed my poor bamboo shrimp.
 

oldsalt777

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,427
Reaction score
950
Location
Colorado
Experience
More than 10 years
Komarr said:
Should I be concerned about this amount of algae?
Tank is a 55gal. Been running for about 5 months. Has 2 AquaClear 50 filters. The main algae growth is in the flow from the filters. I do weekly 20% water change and add Seachem Flourish once per week. Ph is 8.4, straight from the tap. I don't mess with it. At my weekly changes Ammonia and Nitrites are 0, Nitrates run from 10-20 ppm.

Stock is: 10 Neon Tetra, 6 Cherry Barbs, 2 BN Plecos (last added, maybe 2 weeks ago. They're less then an inch each), 1 Dwarf Gourami, 6 Amano Shrimp, 2 Bamboo shrimp, 8-10 Cherry Shrimp (not sure, we had babies!), 2 blue and 2 yellow shrimp (sorry, forget exact names, but Cherry size).

Plants: Anarchis, Java Fern, Java Moss, 3 Straight Val, 2 Dwarf Anubias.

Been noticing the algae for about a month. 2 weeks ago I "combed" some of it out with tongs, but it's returning. Am I over-reacting or should I make some changes? I figure I have some stocking room if there is any critters that can help with this?
Thanks
Hello Kom...

Algae grows in water that has a steady source of nitrate and phosphate. Nitrate is the form of nitrogen the bacteria leave and phosphate is one of the first ingredients in most fish foods. If algae has no food source, it can't get out of control. There's a house plant called Aglaonema or Chinese evergreen that will remove algae completely from the tank by using up all the nitrate and phosphate. You have to put the roots of this plant under the water with the leaves above. I have this plant growing in some of my fish tanks and there is absolutely no visible algae in them.

Old
 

WTFish?

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,628
Reaction score
3,011
Location
Arizona
Experience
More than 10 years
oldsalt777 said:
Hello Kom...

Algae grows in water that has a steady source of nitrate and phosphate. Nitrate is the form of nitrogen the bacteria leave and phosphate is one of the first ingredients in most fish foods. If algae has no food source, it can't get out of control. There's a house plant called Aglaonema or Chinese evergreen that will remove algae completely from the tank by using up all the nitrate and phosphate. You have to put the roots of this plant under the water with the leaves above. I have this plant growing in some of my fish tanks and there is absolutely no visible algae in them.

Old
Interesting. Can this plant be in with other plants and not starve them out?
 

WTFish?

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,628
Reaction score
3,011
Location
Arizona
Experience
More than 10 years
Komarr said:
Should I be concerned about this amount of algae?
Tank is a 55gal. Been running for about 5 months. Has 2 AquaClear 50 filters. The main algae growth is in the flow from the filters. I do weekly 20% water change and add Seachem Flourish once per week. Ph is 8.4, straight from the tap. I don't mess with it. At my weekly changes Ammonia and Nitrites are 0, Nitrates run from 10-20 ppm.

Stock is: 10 Neon Tetra, 6 Cherry Barbs, 2 BN Plecos (last added, maybe 2 weeks ago. They're less then an inch each), 1 Dwarf Gourami, 6 Amano Shrimp, 2 Bamboo shrimp, 8-10 Cherry Shrimp (not sure, we had babies!), 2 blue and 2 yellow shrimp (sorry, forget exact names, but Cherry size).

Plants: Anarchis, Java Fern, Java Moss, 3 Straight Val, 2 Dwarf Anubias.

Been noticing the algae for about a month. 2 weeks ago I "combed" some of it out with tongs, but it's returning. Am I over-reacting or should I make some changes? I figure I have some stocking room if there is any critters that can help with this?
Thanks
That doesn’t look bad at all to me, maybe a nerite snail could help a bit.
 

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,025
Reaction score
4,292
Location
Canada QC
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't think this is algae tbh. It looks more like cyanobacteria. Which is just that, a bacteria.

I have it pop up from time to time in my tanks, I currently have one that is getting out of hand.

I'll have to up my water changes in this tank, add flow, add floating or emersed plants both to outcompete cyano and provide some shade. Strong intermittent light is a big contributor to cyano as well tho. I just learned that it does not tolerate bright long periods of light either.

After siphoning and cleaning most of out manually, I spot dose with h2o2 where it was. 1ml per gallon max dose. Beware h202 sinks so disperse it slowly out of the syringe.
It will also turn into pure oxygen when it hits organic matter, so you'll see microbubbles floating up for about 20 mins.
 

oldsalt777

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,427
Reaction score
950
Location
Colorado
Experience
More than 10 years
WTFish? said:
Interesting. Can this plant be in with other plants and not starve them out?
WT...

Yes. This house plant will use the nutrients like the aquatic plants do. Algae works much more slowly to take in nutrients. That's why you want a lot of aquatic plants in a tank. Because they can use nutrients in the water faster than algae. The problem is, that most tank keepers feed their fish and plants too much, so there's always a lot of left over food to dissolve in the tank water and sustain the algae. Algae is a good way to find out if you're feeding too much. If the algae is growing and looks good, you're likely feeding too much. If it looks a little brownish and just grows and little here and there, you're feeding about right. If you observe your tank a lot and know what to look for, you can tell a lot about how you're managing your tank.

Old
 

WTFish?

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,628
Reaction score
3,011
Location
Arizona
Experience
More than 10 years
oldsalt777 said:
WT...

Yes. This house plant will use the nutrients like the aquatic plants do. Algae works much more slowly to take in nutrients. That's why you want a lot of aquatic plants in a tank. Because they can use nutrients in the water faster than algae. The problem is, that most tank keepers feed their fish and plants too much, so there's always a lot of left over food to dissolve in the tank water and sustain the algae. Algae is a good way to find out if you're feeding too much. If the algae is growing and looks good, you're likely feeding too much. If it looks a little brownish and just grows and little here and there, you're feeding about right. If you observe your tank a lot and know what to look for, you can tell a lot about how you're managing your tank.

Old
Thank you, my tank is a jungle of live plants. I do get small amounts of algae on certain leaves here and there. I blame it on over feeding like you said...since I also have to constantly squeeze out my intake sponge. Ha. I’m getting better though.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
151
Guests online
2,449
Total visitors
2,600

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom