is this too many fish for a 50 gallon tank?

1. tom5678 Member Member

i have just set up a new 50 gallon tropical fish tank about 2 weeks ago.
    currently i have 5 small platies, 3 neons and a bristle nose catfish in the tank. i will be moving the platies out soon though.
    if i was to get 10 more neons, 4 gauramis and a small shoal (5 or 6) of other fish would that be too many?

2. platy ben Well Known Member Member

I dont think that would be too many at all :) Sounds like a pretty good stock :)
    One thing, what type of gourami are you intending on getting?

3. tom5678 Member Member

i dont know, what types are there?

4. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Well from my experience many gouramis will not work in groups that is why I was asking, the only gouramis I know that will definitly live reasonably peacefully in a group are honey gouramis and sparkling gouramis.

5. tom5678 Member Member

i was thinking of getting some colourful ones like the blue and red ones.... are they ok?

6. tom5678 Member Member

ah they are called dwarf gauramis also can you breed gauramis in an aquarium?

7. dvc_r Well Known Member Member

Before you get any more I think you may want to finish cycling the tank. There are some excellent information on this web sight about cycling that I encourage you to read.

8. platy ben Well Known Member Member

4 dwarf fouramis may work if you get 1 male and 3 females and provide lots of hiding places :). They may breed in the aquarium but none of the fry will survive in a community tank.

9. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I agree that your tank needs to be cycled. Right now, it may not be safe for your fish, and you could end up losing some. What kind of test kit and conditioner do you use?

10. tom5678 Member Member

why wont the fry survive? also why 3 females and one male?
    and i am not sure what test kit i use.
    i have one for amonia and another for PH.
    the PH was blue so above 7 and the amonia showed no colour change so i am guessing that that is good.

11. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

you could maybe have 2 dwarf gourami's in that tank...anymore and I think they would hunt each other down..they dont play nice with eachother....even if its all girls ....you cold get your neons, 2 dgs and maybe some adorable fancy tailed male guppies?

but as the others suggested, dont do anything until the tank cycles...and having a proper test kit is going to be very important part to a successful tank..its a must to know where your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are at all times...good luck!

12. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Lol... brunette moment, Shawnie? :whistling:

The API master test kit is a really good one. The strips aren't accurate, the liquid tests are much more reliable. You need one for nitrites and a kit for nitrates as well. It's impossible to know if your tank is properly cycled without knowing ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings.

edit: Oh, the reason for more females than males is because sometimes a male will harass a female literally to death. More females allow him to spread the love around, give the little babymomma fish a chance to catch her breath. But I thought this usually applied to livebearers like guppies and platies.

And fry may not survive because oftentimes, when water conditions are not the best, the smallest/weakest are the ones most affected. Also, any adult in the tank will eat the fry in a community tank setting. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It's a natural method of population control, and the fry are actually a healthy protein source.

13. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

huh?:;dk did i use the wrong words? LOL

14. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

lol, detrimental means harmful. ;)

15. tom5678 Member Member

ok so gouramis might not be the best choice? are there any other nice fish of a similar size?

16. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

you could have 2 of them....they are great fish just not a bunch in one tank...firemouths are cool...pictus catfish....

:;rlthats what happens when 40 something :whistling:year old women spend the nite/day with her 1 year old granddaughter :;laughingsleep deprivation is awful!:party0009:

i changed it LOL

17. tom5678 Member Member

firemouths look good, how big do they get though and do they eat smaller fish?

18. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

there cichlids so cant guarantee them just as we cant the angels...if you want 100% guarantee, id stick with platies, guppies, & tetras

edit: got angels mixed up with other thread sorry

19. tom5678 Member Member

help!!!
    i have got some pictures of my 50 gallon tank but i dont know how to show them =[
    please help =]