Is This To Big Of A Water Change Every Week?

1. canadian92 Member Member

Every Sunday I replace this much water in my freshwater community tank ...is this to much ? I always heard 15 - 20% every week or 2 but I rather do a little more than that afb3271a822d1cf3c784ac12ab345696.jpg

2. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

That's a great number. At least a 25 percent water change weekly works best. I do 2 25 percent and a 50 percent water change weekly. If I can't do 3, I try to do 2 50-60 percent water changes. That applies for my GBR/Angel tank as well as my new (German) Gold Ram tank.

3. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Your not doing to much, but it would be ok to do a little less.

4. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

You can do as large and as frequent water changes as you like- it is the best method to keeping your fish healthy. Just try to keep the temp as close as is possible and your good to go.

5. BReefer97 Member Member

I change around 50-60% in mine, but mine's a much smaller tank. I do it once to twice a week because I honestly like switching up my fish's set up during water changes.

6. jmaldo Well Known Member Member

Every Saturday I change approx that same amount. Works for me and my wet pets.
    :;bananawater

7. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

As long as your tap is clean larger WCs would not be a problem. If you have ammonia in your tap then you should do something that makes sense for YOUR water.

8. goplecos Well Known Member Member

that's alot I do a water change every week for my goldfish, and every other week for everyone else. My ammonia's at zero or very close to it in all my tanks.

9. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

When I do my water changes I tend to do 75% weekly. That's not to say everyone should or that even I need to but I like to take my time and make sure the gravel is really clean so I don't have any surprises so it's really up to you :)

10. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

IMG_0377.JPG Love your hardscape. I have the exact same pieces! You have good taste lol. And your water changes are appropriate, I would say.

11. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

7 aquariums , 10g , 20g, 30g, 55g,55g,65g 75g , regardless of size they all get 50% water changes once a week.

there's is no rule set in stone when it comes to water changes , do as many as your heart desires (obviously be realistic) just try and get temp close enough and don't forget to de-clhorinate.

12. canadian92 Member Member

That's crazy I wanted to get that other rock to ..the one on the side..is that a 60 gallon you have ?

13. TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

I never do a smaller water change than that. Always 50% or a bit more.(Well, as accurately as I can from just looking at the tank)

14. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

As others have said it's perfectly to do larger water changes. Most of the bacteria is in your filter, so your cycle isn't harmed by large water changes.

15. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

I know! Isn't that a weird coincidence? Yeah, it's a 60 gallon, and I was careful to buy only the coolest, but most natural-looking pieces of hardscape that I could.

16. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

I plan on doing that for all my tanks too. The 38 gallon gets less. I would test the water and base your water changes in that.