Is this Tiger barb pregnant?

devsi

Firstly, I hope everyone had a great Christmas and new year! I’ve been on PTO for a month and have stayed away from any and all social media (including FishLore) to focus on my kids so I’ve not been around :)

My main tank is in my office so I haven’t had the pleasure of staring at my fish all day every day, but I just had a decent look at them and I’m wondering if this tiger is pregnant?

If she is, is there anything I can do to keep the babies? I have a 60 litre QT, but I’ve got two algae eaters in there at the moment (waiting for them to reach a bigger size before putting them in with my Tigers, Ellioti Cichlids, mollies and zebra loaches)

Attachments

• 57B7631E-DF0C-4FBA-A596-EC7CE8C320C4.jpeg
    57B7631E-DF0C-4FBA-A596-EC7CE8C320C4.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 6DAECB01-C8E0-4BD9-8235-4DC379BAC845.jpeg
    6DAECB01-C8E0-4BD9-8235-4DC379BAC845.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 10

BigManAquatics

I know they are egg layers, but can't remember if that is a scaterring type or not. High chance any eggs laid get eaten by the other barbs at the very least.

devsi

I know they are egg layers, but can't remember if that is a scaterring type or not. High chance any eggs laid get eaten by the other barbs at the very least.

Ah, ok :(

BigManAquatics

Ah, ok :(

Once you are at work again, might be easier to seperate or try spawning mops or something.

devsi

Once you are at work again, might be easier to seperate or try spawning mops or something.

I’m not desperately in need of babies, just wondered if it was easy to do ;)

Thanks for the help!

BigManAquatics

I’m not desperately in need of babies, just wondered if it was easy to do ;)

Thanks for the help!
If you can seperate eggs from the main tank into an empty tank it usually isn't so bad in my experience. Getting to that point can be a real task though.

devsi

If you can seperate eggs from the main tank into an empty tank it usually isn't so bad in my experience. Getting to that point can be a real task though.

IF (not currently the case) my QT was empty and I moved the pregnant barb to it until she gave birth, would she just eat them all by the time I realised she had popped?

Can I assume by the fact we’re having this conversation that it is indeed a she and she is pregnant (as opposed to just over fed)?

BigManAquatics

That last part i don't know, not good at sexing barbs. The eggs wouldn't be fertilized til after they were laid though.

devsi

That last part i don't know, not good at sexing barbs. The eggs wouldn't be fertilized til after they were laid though.

Ah of course! I didn’t think of that haha :)

Ellebrius

They are egg scatterers. If you place the female in QT with a male and have a gravel substrate she will lay the eggs and they will fall through the gravel so the parents won’t be able to eat them. Then you return the parents to their tank and raise the fry yourself. I can send you a link you you are interested in trying.

devsi

They are egg scatterers. If you place the female in QT with a male and have a gravel substrate she will lay the eggs and they will fall through the gravel so the parents won’t be able to eat them. Then you return the parents to their tank and raise the fry yourself. I can send you a link you you are interested in trying.

Oh I see. The tank they are in has gravel; will it work in a community tank as well?

Yes please to the link :)

Ellebrius

Yes but as soon as the fry start swimming they will get eaten unless you have a lot of plants and moss for them to hide in, or you could try a breeding mop or better still a hang inside your tank breeder box.
$13.99 Cdn on Amazon

Attachments

• 112C78BB-251D-4FB2-829D-6B4D3888A628.png
    112C78BB-251D-4FB2-829D-6B4D3888A628.png
    640.1 KB · Views: 2

devsi

Yes but as soon as the fry start swimming they will get eaten unless you have a lot of plants and moss for them to hide in, or you could try a breeding mop or better still a hang inside your tank breeder box.
$13.99 Cdn on Amazon

Ah right, ok. That makes sense.

Thanks :) I’m not desperate for babies so I’ll let nature take its course, but I’ll bare it in mind for the future!

Ellebrius

Ok, sounds good. You might get lucky and save a few, just keep checking and if you see a baby, get the net!!!

devsi

I'll keep my eyes open :) haha

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Basil
Replies
Views
AJE
Replies
Views
Lindat