Is this the start of ich??

1. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I noticed my guppy just started flashing about 5 times in the past half hour. There are no spots on him but his gills do seem to be pretty red.

All the other fish are fine. Could this be the start of ich? I don't have a QT. I just raised the temp to 80. I don't want to jump to conclusions but i don't want it to be too late to do anything about it.

2. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

It could be, but its hard to say. Just watch for white spots very closely, check thoroughly every 4 hours or so.

3. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Is he acting lethargic?

4. OP
    OP
    el337

No not at all. Swimming and eating just as much as the others. Which is why I'm not sure what to do or what illness it could be.

5. BornThisWayBettas

Are his fins clamped? What are your water parameters?

6. OP
    OP
    el337

No, fins look ok too. I did a test this morning -

ph 7.2
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 5

I had also done my routine weekly 25% water change with my usual dose of prime right after the test.

7. BornThisWayBettas

Hmm. Yes, I'd do what Bluestreakfl said and keep a close eye on him, imo, as well as wait for more opinions. Good luck! :)

8. OP
    OP
    el337

Thank you, I will! Makes me wish I had my new tank set up already to make the current one a hospital! Ugghhh

9. BornThisWayBettas

Okay, best of luck! :)

10. felix

felix Valued Member Member

I would start treatment as soon as you can.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

11. OP
    OP
    el337

So you think regardless of what it could be or not be, I should start treating? Would it be safe to add medicine when this is the case?

Just concerned how it will affect the other fish when I keep raising he temps since I have neons as well as adding medication without knowing for sure what it is.

I didn't have time to watch his behavior as I had to rush out to work this morning. But if I do have to treat, is Seachem Paraguard a good med to treat for all parasite- related illnesses?

12. BornThisWayBettas

Thing is, if she were using meds, I don't know that it would be good for everyone if he started treating the whole tank, especially since we aren't sure this is what it is.

13. felix

If you use copper based medicine thrn get your shrimps and snails out of the water. Most medicine don't have negative effect even though your fish are not infected.

White spot is a micro organism that is definly out there, even in my tank though I treatet it two times. The thing is if you fish suffer from a low immune system because of stress the micro organisms are able to for cysts on your fish.

Your fish won't be affected to much their digestive system will speed up.

I use sera ectopur but German products might not be available where you live. I hope that some body here knows more about the products you use. Be sure that it contail malachite green and not copper. Many people will make you believe that malachite green is copper but it has nothing to do with malachite.

Good luck and don't turn up the heat to fast!

14. Bluestreakfl

I wouldn't start treating if you don't know for sure what it is. Medicines can still be harsh on fish. The only 2 times I had to deal with Ich, I used Kordon Ich Attack, because it's one of the few meds out there that is completely invert safe, isn't harsh on fish, and is also safe for scaleless fish like catfish etc. I maintained a daytime 84 and nighttime 82 temperature along with treatment and it worked perfect. Also kept a bubbler running. Again though, I wouldn't treat until you know for sure something is there, could cause more harm than good.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

15. M

MtnTiger Well Known Member Member

Agree with this. I've noticed this a couple times in our tanks shortly after a water change. Since nothing ever came of it I decided change my routine and dose Prime to the full size of the tank. Since then I haven't see anymore "flashing".

16. OP
    OP
    el337

Yes I'm reluctant to start any meds unless I saw sure signs. He had been eating and swimming happily with the others. Just the random flashing and inflamed gills right after the water change.

I'm going to check on him when I get home and then if he is still flashing with no spots, I will do a wc dosing the whole tank with prime. Should I also add some salt? I do add it once in a while with my wc's. I just didn't add any with yesterday's wc.

17. felix

White spot is always present in every aquarium. No medicine will help against the white spot on the fish. Only the free floating white spot will be killed by the medicine.

18. Bluestreakfl

Salt will work for existing spots on the fish, but should only be used as a dip. When my guppies had Ich I drained some tank water into a little tupperware container, and then in another cup, mixed some aquarium salt with more tank water. Transferred the guppies to the tupperware, and gradually added the salt solution. The salt will disturb the osmotic balance in the Ich Cysts, causing some of them to fall off, or become extremely weakened. The salt will also cleanse the open sores from where the spots fell off. Another benefit to the salt dip method is that spores that would have fallen off into your tank are now in a tupperware container, preventing spread. Just make sure once the dip treatment is done, you slowly add some tank water back in to the container before putting the effected fish back in so they dont go from brackish to instant fresh too fast.

19. M

MtnTiger Well Known Member Member

No, nope, nada. I think you will find the majority on here do not recommend salt for introduction to the tank.

20. OP
    OP
    el337

And you did this dip treatment daily until the white spots are gone?
    How much salt did you use with one dip treatment?
    And you dosed the Kordon daily right into the tank?

Thank you. I want to at least be prepared on what to do if it is Ich.