Is this the right stuff Question 

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am getting ready to set up my new tank, and this time I am going cycle the right way FISH LESS. I am going to do it the ammonia way and I found some TopCrest Clear Ammonia. When I looked on the back it says it has Ammonia, Hydroxide, and Surfacrtant. My question: Is this the right stuff??

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No, you need to find pure ammonia, from what I've heard here. Hardware stores carry it. "Pure" as in no additives, it is rated as a certain % ammonia.

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks Ted that was what I thought but I thought I would ask. I guess maybe Home Depot will have it.

npandav011

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Make sure you don't buy ammonia with surfactants, perfumes, or scents! This will kill the bacteria you are trying to grow. Good luck on your cycle. I am in the middle of mine

NewbieGirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ayelie said:
Thanks Ted that was what I thought but I thought I would ask. I guess maybe Home Depot will have it.
Not at my Home Depot. Only found it at Ace Hardware and it is their Janitorial Strength 10% Ammonia. when you shake it they say it should not foam and any bubbles should immediately dissipate. I am just repeating what others say, as my fishless cycle is stalled. I do have plenty of Ammonia as it comes in huge containers.

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks guys

TheSwampFox

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Good luck with your cycle, I just finished mine. I used a fish cycle though