Is this the dreaded bba?

Chris1212

Am I finally victim? Is this black beard algae on the rocks up front?

I've been using a liquid fertilizer the last couple weeks for the first time as I'm slowly switching to live plants.

20211012_150836.jpg

V1K

Could you try to focus on the rock better, I really can't tell what I'm looking at.

WRWAquarium

Does look like BBA on the spikey plant or maybe staghorn algae.

Chris1212

Here's a better pic
20211012_160029.jpg

TheAnglerAquarist

Chris1212

V1K

They missed a comma :D. They meant to say "if it is (BBA), amano shimp would help". However, personally I don't see my Amano shrimp eating any algae ever. All they do is scavenge for food. I think you'd need to stop feeding your fish for the shrimp to do their job.

Chris1212

They missed a comma :D. They meant to say "if it is (BBA), amano shimp would help". However, personally I don't see my Amano shrimp eating any algae ever. All they do is scavenge for food. I think you'd need to stop feeding your fish for the shrimp to do their job.
Same with my two Amano. They are more than happy to fight off big skirt tetras for bug bites but algae is so far beneath them. How dare I expect them to eat algae

I have been wanting to get a couple American flag fish. They are supposedly one of the few types of fish that eats bba.

Mudminnow

I'm unsure, but, yes, I think that dark colored algae on your rocks is the beginning of BBA.

TheAnglerAquarist

Man, I’m tired today. lol

awilkinson871

Honestly instead of adding something that may or may not eat it, I would pull out those couple pieces and scrub them. Use a new unused toothbrush if you don't have a dedicated tank cleaning brush. If needed you could dip it in 3% peroxide to kill what you cannot get to. Get it before it continues to spread.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PaulOB
Replies
Views
Asomeone
Replies
Views
sarxlives
  • Question
Replies