is this the correct process

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by PuffPuff, Aug 4, 2015.

1. PuffPuff

PuffPuffWell Known MemberMember

so I do my 25% water change. I use a 5 gallon bucket and siphon the water out n the fish poo the best I can. then I run the tap into my other 5 gallon bucket I throw in the de-chlorinator and throw in a power head to mix the tap with the de-chlorinator. I leave it running in the bucket for about a good 15mins, more or less. then I pour the water into my aquarium. am I missing anything or any thing else I should add to my water change?

2. leftswerve

leftswerveWell Known MemberMember

let the new water run/season for about 24hrs is ideal.

3. amydebValued MemberMember

Pretty much that's it. I don't add a power head. I put the water conditioner in the bucket, then run the water in. I let it sit for a minute - no specific amount of time, usually because I am putting other things away, etc. Dechlorinator works instantly.

4. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

I follow the same process as amydeb. :)

5. matsungit

matsungitWell Known MemberMember

For dechlorinators, swishing by hand is enough, no need for a powerhead. For my Figure Eight puffers I also add 1/4 cup marine salt mix per 5 gallons. This is where you'll need a powerhead.

6. OP
    OP
    PuffPuff

7. EricV

EricVFishlore VIPMember

No need for the power head for mixing dechlorinator. It's more or less instant.

8. OP
    OP
    PuffPuff

okay, cause I keep seeing that buffers are needed at times, things like that

9. mikerox29Well Known MemberMember

Just make sure that the temperature of the water change water is the same (or similar) to that of the tank

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice