Is this the beginning of the end?

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by SevenEro, Dec 19, 2012.

1. SevenEro

SevenEro Valued Member Member

I just got this baby oranda goldfish about 3 weeks ago, and s/he seemed extremely happy and healthy this whole time until about 2 days ago. :( I just did a ~75% water changed today. I usually do 1-2 30-50% water changes a week, but I decided to do a much larger water change today to see if that will help. Water params are always normal: 70F, ~8.0 pH, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10-20 nitrate (API freshwater test kit). 2 cycled filters: Tetra Whisper PF10 and Marina Slim 20. They eat a lil cube of Soilent Green Repashy gel food once a day. Occasionally, I'll soak and feed some Omega One goldfish flakes just for variety (gotta use it up). They are in a 20 gallon long temporarily. In the spring, when I move the 3 comets out of their 29 gallon and back outside to the pond, the 2 fancies will move to the 29.

S/he used to swim all around like a normal, happy goldfish, which is exactly what Bobby does all the time as you can see in this video. Bobby is the baby pearlscale goldfish. But now Bubble (the oranda) is swimming slowly and crazy and leans on the glass letting the water surface and the glass keep him/her still. :( S/he has been sitting in the back corner by the filter intake, but I managed to get this lil video while s/he was floating around the front of the tank. (In the process of removing the sand so pardon the mess.)

This is from Dec 4:

And this is from today:

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

IME yes it is the beginning of the end. You can try treating with antibiotics and see if that helps. As a side note - it's poop does not look healthy at all.

3. OP
    OP
    SevenEro

I noticed the weird looking poop, too, but I don't know how to diagnose it. :( Poor thing, he seemed sooo healthy. I have some Seachem Para Guard. Would that help or make it worse? What kind of antibiotics would I try?

4. Jaysee

I have tried maracyn and maracyn 2, unsuccessfully.

It could be parasites, and I suppose theres the chance it could be parasites causing the swim bladder problem.

5. OP
    OP
    SevenEro

So Para Guard could possibly help/definitely not hurt? I have an extra 10gal I can use for a quarantine tank. Is that too small for a fancy goldfish that needs treatment?

6. Jaysee

No, put it in the 10. What are the ingredients?

7. OP
    OP
    SevenEro

From Seachem's website: "ParaGuard™ contains no formaldehyde or methanol and will not alter pH. ParaGuard™ employs a proprietary, synergistic blend of aldehydes, malachite green, and fish protective polymers that effectively and efficiently eradicates many ectoparasites on fish (e.g. ich, etc.) and external fungal/bacterial/viral lesions (e.g., fin rot). It is particularly useful in hospital and receiving tanks for new fish and whenever new fish are introduced to a community tank. For use in freshwater or marine."

8. Jaysee

No that will be useless. You need something for internal parasites. Try API general cure

9. OP
    OP
    SevenEro

okay, thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I get paid tomorrow, so hopefully bubble will hang in there until then.

I've never had to set up a quarantine tank before so I'll just be throwing stuff together. should I take one of the filters off the 20 long to use in the quarantine tank? or get a new filter just for quarantine and seed it with material from one of my filters (I have 6 tanks, one of which is being treated for ich so I won't take from that tank)? if new filter, which one is best?

10. Jaysee

If you have 2 filters on the 20 long, then yes, move one over. You ought to consider getting the quarantine tank it's own dedicated filter, though. In time.

11. OP
    OP
    SevenEro

he didn't make it :(

12. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:( I'm so sorry.

13. OP
    OP
    SevenEro

thanks. poor lil guy, he was so cute. RIP Bubble. no more fancy goldfish for a while, we get attached too easily.

now Bobby has the 20 long all to himself.

14. B

Borngemini Valued Member Member

Reminds me of a Platy I had he was generally a weird fish he'd play with your finger against the glass of the tank called him Dopy he started acting like that and I went to the pet store and told them brought £27 which is about 45-50 dollars? Or medicin they told me would save his life put him in isolation and he got better well that's what I thought he died out the blue about 10 minutes before I was going to put him back in the main tank, I was devastated it was my first fish out Of the rest :-( I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets emotionally attatched to a fish lol

15. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

Rest in peace bubbles. :(

(before you get another one, 1 goldfish should have a 20g to itself, 2 should have at least 30) ;)

16. OP
    OP
    SevenEro

thanks, mrs price. I figured since they were so small they would be okay in a 20 long with regular water changes until their 40gal was ready. guess not...

borngemini, you're def not the only one who gets emotionally attached!

17. ILikeFishies

ILikeFishies Valued Member Member

omg :(. Im so sorry. Rest in peace bubbles! I love gold fish, they're so cute and bobbly. I felt really sad watching that video :( I was just wishing he would get better, till i scrolled down and read the update :( .
    really sorry to hear.

18. Tigress Hill

Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

I would go ahead and treat the other goldie for parasites. I had one that acted the same as yours, and then he died. After that, I netted him out and thought the others would be okay. But this was not the case; two others succumbed to the illness. I woke up one morning to see WORMS had burrowed a hole through a dead one's body. I immediately purchased some medication, but unfortunately all passed except one.

Long story short, it would not hurt anything for you to treat the tank with Parasite Guard.

19. escapay

escapay Well Known Member Member

^ Agree with that last post.

I'm sorry your fish didn't make it. :( RIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice