Is This Tap Safe Safe?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Esimm03, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Esimm03

Esimm03 Well Known Member Member

Hi,

So someone gave me there old fish tank and it had things like a filter and heater ect...

There was a bottle of tetra tap safe in there and as I need some more I thought of using it, however the price label said it's from a local pet store that closed down about 2 years ago and they said the tank had been in the shed about 5 years, is it safe to put it in my tank ?

Ethan

2. j

jeebo Valued Member Member

On the bottom of the bottle should be an expiry date?

3. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

Nope just this IMG_20170418_154522.jpg
    , Unless it's some sort of code like 18417 (18/4/17)?

Ethan

4. Nanologist

Nanologist Well Known Member Member

Is it the "Aquasafe" product?

To my knowledge, Seachem Prime and Tetra Aquasafe uses Sodium Hydroxymethane Sulfinate (hence the sulfur smell) and does not expire.

Other dechlorinators use Sodium Thiosulfate, but usually have a expiration date on the bottle of a few years.

At any rate, if it's not Tetra Aquasafe I would toss it anyways and get a bottle of that or Seachem Prime. They are inexpensive and work much better than the alternatives.

5. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

Hi,

It is tetra aquasafe, it smells of sulfur.

Also I'm setting up an RO unit soon as I'm getting a marine tank, if I use this in my freshwater tanks do I not need to use any sort of decloranator?

Thanks,
    Ethan

6. SuperK

SuperK Well Known Member Member

If you're talking about RO, from what I've heard people are against using it mainly because it takes out a lot of the minerals and other things freshwater fish need. Marine water is different (salinity and such aside). If you wanted to use RO most likely you would need to add minerals back which would be more expensive than adding dechlorinator.

Then again I could be wrong, if anyone could clarify that'd be great. I was considering getting one but after I read about it I read it wasn't necessary.

Edit: I forget to talk about the dechlorinator. From what I know you still have to add it, but again I could be wrong. I've never used RO so I've not had experience. I've only read up on it a bit.

7. RyleighJ

RyleighJ Valued Member Member

That looks like a Julian date to me. 10 300 23. 10 is the month, 300 is the day of the year, and 23 is the year. So October 27, 2023.

I have no clue how long dechlorinator is supposed to last, but based on what others have said I don't think that's too unreasonable of a date.

8. Nanologist

Nanologist Well Known Member Member

From DFS website: "Reverse osmosis removes virtually everything from tap water, including essential minerals your aquarium inhabitants need to flourish. Most marine salt mixes already contain these minerals and the use of RO conditioners is not necessary. However, freshwater aquariums require re-mineralization to achieve the desired pH."

As mentioned it's more expensive to remineralize water than to dechlorinate tap water.

I also wanted to add, if you're concerned at all with the expiration then I would personally toss it out and buy some more. I prefer Seachem Prime and wish I'd known about it when I was a teenager. It may seem like it's more expensive (because the purchase price is more) but in fact it is by far the most cost effective.

I remember adding somewhere around 48 drops per gallon of cheap Top Fin dechlorinator to a 5 gallon tank. That was never fun counting over a hundred drops for each water change. The Prime is 2 drops per gallon... In the long run you save both time and money.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2017
  9. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

Ok,

I'm just worried ill do a water change and the next morning everything is dead.

I'll grab another bottle tomorrow.

Ethan

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice